Occasionally, I can hear a pulse in my ear.It sounds like water rushing against something.Am I hearing blood?

what you have described could be a mixture of things try to think how long you have had this for it could be do to with a wax build up try buying some olive oil and putting a few drops into the ear 3 times a day if its wax you should find some comes out the ear or your ear feels clearer . some times when people are very on edge or nervous the say a saying such as i can feel my heart is in my ears were you can hear a pulse like sound so dont worry as you say occansionally thats not bad as its not all the time . enougher suggestion i could give could be a very early sign of tinnitus which is where you hear a buzzing like sound in the ear but that would be very unlikely in your case if its really annoying you make an appoitment with your doctor they will probally perscribe some ear drops you may like a said have a build up of wax & oil and drops can be prescribed and it worse cases simple syringing of the ear so dont worry best of luck x

I have had this for years... sounds like when they do a ultra sound on a moms tummy to see the baby... (cush cush cush) I have been to 3 ENT's (ear nose and throat)... I have always had TMJ (Temporal Madibular Joint Disorder)... this is where when I'm tense my jaw muscles would hurt and I'ld have headaches etc. When the heatbeat(pulsing) started in my left ear and it scared me... I had developed a knot behind my ear... I have had 2 MRS's and there's not vessels or arteries in trouble or any thing else it just... stress and me clenching my jaw I assume (the doctors have been not help)... something muscular is pushing a blood vessel against or near my ear drum. This is all I know.. they give me a 5mg. valium at night to quiten the pulsing... also the noise quitens if I open my jaw really wide. Just wanted to share my situation. Also the valium I have taken for a few years(5mg at night) has helped the noise is not as constant. It just seems all based on my stress level at the time.

Hi, the whooshing sound you described may indicate pulsatile tinnitus. Check out for some information and to read some personal stories that may guide you in the right direction. There is also a post on that site with audio files of some different whooshing sounds, so you can see if any of the sounds are like yours and let your doctor listen to it.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

If you do an online search in your browser for "whooshers" you will find more information about pulsatile tinnitus and tips for sufferers.

can you tell me some more information here about it? I think that I have pulsatile tinnitus, and I would like to hear more about it. Thank you!

hi, i am not a doctor, but i am a pt sufferer. pulsatile tinnitus is a symptom of a cause or condition. anyone on here who tells you they know what is causing your pt may mean well, but only a doctor who examines you can know for sure because there are so many possibilities. i have had pt for about 8 months. it has been a very frustrating road to learning the cause of my pt and (attempt to) treating it. my best advice is find doctors who are familiar with pulsatile tinnitus, NOT just regular (non-pulsatile) tinnitus and its potential causes. this is not an easy feat. you need a doctor who is on your side, who has empathy for sufferers of pt. if you hear the words "just live with it," find another doctor.

there is an online support forum at whooshers dot com that has a lot of info on pulsatile tinnitus. unfortunately this site won't allow me to post the web address here because they're worried about spam. find other pt sufferers to exchange tips on dealing with the annoying symptoms. it's important to know you're not alone! there are a lot of us out there. good luck.

Whoosher, thank you for posting on how your doctor should never tell you to JUST LIVE with it because that's so unhelpful and frustrating. Can you tell me more about your story?