Hi, doctor recommended tonsilectomy for my 10 years old child?
Please, does someone know what tonsilectomy means has it risks and complications?

Hi, the tonsils are masses of lymphoid tissue located in the mouth and behind the nasal passages. Infected or enlarged tonsils may cause chronic or recurrent sore throat, bad breath, dental malocclusion, abscess, or upper airway obstruction causing difficulty with swallowing, snoring, or sleep apnea. Tonsillectomy is surgical procedure performed to remove the tonsils.
The surgery may involve risks of unsuccessful results, complications, or injury from both known and unforeseen causes. Because individuals differ in their response to surgery, their anesthetic reactions, and their healing outcomes, ultimately there can be no guarantee made as to the results or potential complications.
Here is list some of complication, only for information not to frighten you: bleeding, dehydration, infection and prolonged pain.

My daughter had her tonsil and adenoids out of the 12th of February and we though everything was great. Nine days later we ended up in the emergency room because she began vomiting blood, she was hospitalized for 3 days, given a blood transfusion and they couldn't find anything wrong but her crit level was 16.2. She was released from the hospital on a Tuesday with a crit level of 20.3 and on Thursday we were back in the emergency room for the same symptoms. The hospital sent us to a larger hospital because they still couldn't figure it out, it turns out that during the surgery the surgeon had nicked her jugular and the vein was leaking blood into her stomach which was making her vomit blood, so after another blood transfusion, and endoscopy of her throat under anesthesia and spending another 4 days in the hospital we are finally home. Fortunately my other daughter had the same procedure by the same doctor that there were no complications.

oh my gosh! the same thing happened to me in 1972 when i was 4 years old, but i was not so fortunate.. i spent 3 months in the hospital.. i had hemmoraged out almost all my blood, and they lost me 3 times on the operating table! they had to clamp my artery in my neck with 9 clamps to stop the bleeding.. an ear nose and throat specialist(not the one who did the damage) and a vascular surgeon worked together to get the job done.. they had to cut my neck about 5 inches on the outside and push the artery through my neck to clamp it.. it was a very traumatic experience to say in the least!
thank GOD i made it though! i did have an outer body experience and saw GOD! im so sorry.. i have prayed over and over again and asked GOD to not let this ever happen to anyone else.. 
just goes to show that even a minor surgery can go very wrong!
GOD bless!!
                   MAX

Wow! It's crazy that this has happened to so many others. In 1994 my jugular vein was lanced by a ENT. He chose not to tell my parents even though he documented the occurrence in his notes. Around 3 days post op I woke up in a pool of blood. My 7 year old mind couldn't even process it, so I went to my mom and told her "I was sick". I will never forget her screams. I was airlifted to a hospital, spent months in ICU, had over 2.5 pints of blood in the course of a week, had vascular surgery and was comatose for over a week. My father even got arrested for choking the doctor who "had to finish his golf game" before he could come to the patient who he had almost killed. My last memory before it all becomes a blur is my dad holding the doctor against the wall saying "if she dies, you die"! To be honest, now I have a huge fear of any blood loss. If I cut my finger I think I'm dying. This same "Doctor" also caused me significant hearing loss in my left ear by placing tubes in my ears the wrong way. Ultimatley, my parents had to file bankruptcy for his mistakes. They chose not to file suit because of all we had already been through, which I think was a mistake. While most tonsilectomoies go smooth, this seems to be a possible outcome that happens more than I realized.

Same with me. I had mine removed in 1955 and a vein un my throat was cut. U had a near dearh experience. I remember it as if it were necessary.