Hi there! I just started working out and I wanted to know if I should do cardio before or after training.

Hi! I always start my training with a 5-15 min of cardio. That way I increase my core temperature, so that I don’t get injured. I do it in intervals which means that I go easy for 1 min and then hard for another 1 min. This can also burn some calories. I stretch as well before I start lifting weights which takes me another 10-15 mins and then I lift. Welcome to the club by the way!!!

Balancing weight lifting and cardio can be very tricky. If you read lifting magazines, they say not to run; running magazines preach against lifting heavy. As a marathon runner and a weight lifter, it's taken me years to find a balance I'm happy with.

For starting out, I agree completely with beginning with about twenty minutes of an eliptical machine to stretch out, warm up and get the blood pumping. What I'd suggest is separating the two though. You should absolutely do cardio. If you only lift, and do it right, eating enough for muscle growth, you'll build muscle, but put on fat as well. Idealy, I'd say run in the morning and lift in the afternoon, but schedules don't always allow for that. Try running one day, and lifting another. You'll naturally find a balance. When I runners pass me, I think to myself, "how many of them can bench 300 pounds," then when somebody outlifts me, I think "can they finish a marathon?"

Cardio before weights will tear down fat and then build muscle, allowing you to get bigger. Lifting weights, then doing cardo (except swimming) will stretch you out more and tear down the muscle tone you've built, making you leaner, but it'll be hard to put on a lot of size.

Consider also the body type you want. If you want to look like the guys from Men's Health Covers (which is what I go for), you'll need to lift heavy to get big, and in the same workout, lift higher reps of lower weights to keep the tone. Then, to keep the fat off, and to work all those little accessory muscles into tone, you'll need cardio. I recommend running about two or three miles a day, at a medium pace. Do different cardios, eliptical machines, treadmills, bikes, and the best one: swimming. I like to swim after a workout because the water cools your body and allows your heart to work slower, good form in the pool will also tone you like nothing else, it's extremely low impact and a great stretch.

The line between cardio and weightlifting can blurr too. By altering your recovery time, doing different exercises (like step ups, sprints between sets, etc) or changing the amount of reps you do, you can get your heartrate up into the levels that are considered cardio. You should do this once in a while. Doing the same workouts all the time is unhealthy, so instead of curling the most you can do at ten, try one day of doing high high reps. like a hundred of a certain weight. This is a cardio exercise and will affect your muscles differently, which is what we weight lifters always want to do.

Good luck. Never cut out cardo or lifting completely, as both are important and compliment each other. You just need to learn to balance the two to get where you want to be. Most importantly, enjoy it.

i wrestled for years and constantly struggled with the same thing of balancing your workout to get the most out of it. I recomend a light cardio workout first, followed by some good streching. Streching muscles that are not warmed up is pointless so a light cardio is good to get them ready for your workout so you can get the most out of it. after that i always did weights, and resistance training, or whatever you like for strength training. After i was done with that i did a cool down from that and warmed my muscles but relaxed them by doing some light cardio just to get the flexing down and back to normal as much as i could, then i went into my hard cardio stuff and after i was done did another cooldown. I ran cross country as well as wrestled so i had a lot of advice thrown at me from both coaches and this is the median i chose and i have to say it worked great for me. The most important thing you can do is warm up, stretch, and cool down, never skip those they will prevent many injuries

I work third shift and workout before work.I am sleeping well but I am finding a high fatigue rate at work after heavy lifting.I also feel dizzy when I try any diet,I am really sick of the love handles. :$