When you consistently train at a very slow speed for a long time (like 9 minutes per mile and you are capable of doing 6 minutes per mile), do you actually lose speed? Or do you keep the same speed as you had before?

I'm worried about this because I'm planning to do a ton of summer base-buildilng (like 60 mpw) and although I am not going to go that slow while i'm running i am still not going to go at anywhere close to a race pace. I don't want to lose all the speed that i've gained in the track season.

If you incorporate speed work into your training you should be fine I would think.

The short answer is if you train slow you run slow. What worries me about your post is that you want to run 60mpw. as a base. I doubt very much that your coach has set you this excessive base mileage. At 14 years of age, you training should be modelled on an adult model however you don't start at the top. Your 5' 7" and 128lbs. you are probally undergoing a growth spurt, 60miles/100kms. can kill off your enthusium for running, perhaps not for a couple of seasons but it will eventually will. I don't want to sound negative xsPrINT your keen and want to improve but more does not necessarily mean better. With 2 years running experience under the belt you have done well with your 5m.20s. mile time (Was this a track time? if so even more creditable) Why not sit down with your coach and work out a general plan for the next couple of years; general training, important races and projected goals etc. Good luck!

Wow. Thanks for the long post Phar.

I don't think that 60 mpw is going to take away my enthusiasm. At this point I know that I am above-average, even excellent for my age, but I am by no means an elite runner yet. My goals are set around what I want to accomplish; I was not given much talent to begin with and I think I have to credit where I am now a lot to my work ethic. I have set goals for the following years. I want to run sub 17 in XC sophomore - sub 16 in XC junior - sub 15 in XC senior. My competitive drive is what keeps me running. The more I run the more enthusiasm I have because I know that I am doing everything I can to go to the next level. I want to be the #1 runner in my league meets by senior year.

Anyway, back onto me being 14 years old. What does it matter how many mpw I run as long as it doesn't cause me any serious injuries? :P

i agree completely.
a 60 mpw base, at your age, is excessive.

Peak growth for boys can be as early as 12, the average is 14 and can be as late as 16 years
xsPrINT, your body's ligaments, tendons and bones are still developing; excessive loads and 100km/60mile is excessive you take the chance of doing yourself some permanent damage. I'm sure you could run 60 mile weeks for a while but you would pay for it at some later stage and for what? empty miles in your training diary which will not necessarily improve your performance.
Its vital that if you really have your heart set on those goals that you discuss you training with your coach and work out a progressive and flexible plan to work towards them.
Also remember you have the demands of school and your family life
All the best in your running future
'Phar lap'

well,

I don't think 60 mpw will kill you...but you're really going to have to be careful.

If all you run is long and slow, you'll develop those type of running habits.

You have gotten some great advice here.

I'd reccommend working on your speed, with one, ONE overdistance run a week. If you run a 5K for your race (HS CC) I'd suggest an 8 or 10 miler. The rest of your runs should be 3 to 4 miles. so, that would leave you 6 days to get 50 miles or so...with lots of short runs. So, that is alot of two a days...

Phar Lap has really done a good job explaining dangers and things here.