Hello there, Im new to the fitness world and I want to get fitter which is kind of obvious. The reason for this is basically I am unhappy with the way I am. When I was about 11-12 I was extremely fast and fit. I could run the 100m in around 13seconds and I didn't tire easily. Then I hit the teens and I eat more, went out less and eventually become quite unfit and ran 15second 100m. Now Im 15 and Im starting to feel like I want to improve. Ive realised im not much of a sprinter as I dont have the power anymore but I recently ran 1500m. Ive always loved long distance running every since I ran my first cross country in secondary school. I used to be in the top 15 in my year, then it was the top 50, then the top 100 and you get the idea. I basically want to be able to prove that I can run to others and most importantly myself. I recently ran the 1500m in a pretty abysmal time of 7minutes 17seconds. I have been looking at joining a gym but am quite cautious as no-one I know really goes to this gym. I would like to know whether joining a gym is worthwhile and what realistically I could achieve in the next 6-12months. Its my goal to basically run under a 6minute mile, its a tough feat but I think its feasable. Anyway, thanks!

Not sure where you're at now, but with hard work, smart training and persistance, you'll reach your goal, or at least be very close to it. Start easy - build that base up with slower runs that get longer as the weeks go by. Ultimately running 3 easy miles will be beneficial to running a fast mile. Resistance training at the gym can be of a great help, but be conscious of the fact that this will tire you out - don't do intervals and resistance training back-to-back. 2-3 easy runs a week. Resistance training 1-2 times a week, and (speed) intervals (200-400m each) once a week. Find a training guide, or a coach at your school too. That will help ensure that you're not spreading yourself too thin with too many hard sessions each week.