Somehow I've managed to become completely emotionally numb, I can't even feel negative emotions at all.
It happened after some panic attacks, will this pass or is it more serious?

Oh my god I feel the same way ! I have for atleast 8 years .You feel bad because you should feel about peoples emotions but you cant . Its difficult and if you find an answer I need to view it also . I didnt think anybody else had that problem. Makes me feel cold hearted. I hate it .

Guys,

I am exactly the same.

I had an episode of depression, then all my emotions switched off.
Soon after that the depression stopped, but I am still numb a year later!

Can someone please help us?

I also feel numb after a serious traumatic event and a anxiety breakdown over two almost three years now. I do feel emotions again, but there are parts of me that went numb that i never felt again. I can say things that are hurtful and not feel anything, i can do things that are ridiculous and not feel any emotions about it. I hate this, but i don't want to feel any more pain, too bad i didn't actually go completely numb. I wish i could either stop feeling or die

yes even im emotionally numb... sometimes when i worry about it ..m head starts to pain at the back..or i feel my head numb or heavy.. im worried .....doctor says its borderlinedeppression but i have no reasons to be depressed ..its 15 days with it.. doctor has given some medicines....should i take it...because such medicines have negative side effects..???? what should i do at this point of time.. i have no emotions to cry ..but this certainly painsss...

I was numb for almost 10 years... where did the time go? I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.. it can be done. Please seek help! It works!

westcoast.. who or what are we supposed to get help from? It has been about 4 years for me (i think.. its hard to keep track of time when it has no meaning). i blame it all on the stupid SSRIs i took during my teens. everyones says i need to go back on the meds but why would i want to do that when it was the meds that fogged my brain? i want to feel again.. but then again, if all im going to feel is depression, maybe im better off this way. i just keep asking God to help........

Hello!! I feel the same!!! Have been depressed for almost a year. I am on a sick leave and am trying to get support. But when no one wants to help you it makes everything a little more difficult. Sometimes I think that people don't realize how serious depression is. I have lost interest in all the things I love and I have avoided all friends and family. My husband has been very supportive and very understanding. I recently had my left ovary removed. I guess everything is hitting me!!! The loss of a body part really screws you up emotionally. Just wish there was someone out there who could be more supportive and guide me through this difficult time. Anyone know of any support groups that deal with depression and anxiety??
Thank you

Guest wrote:

westcoast.. who or what are we supposed to get help from? It has been about 4 years for me (i think.. its hard to keep track of time when it has no meaning). i blame it all on the stupid SSRIs i took during my teens. everyones says i need to go back on the meds but why would i want to do that when it was the meds that fogged my brain? i want to feel again.. but then again, if all im going to feel is depression, maybe im better off this way. i just keep asking God to help........ [/quote

Not all meds work for all people. I realized that I was pretty numb from the SSRI's, which I had been taking for almost 15 yrs, but at least I wasn't suicidal(mostly] I'm on a mood stabilizer and NOT an AD, and it's made a big difference. I also found out that SSRI's aren't the best drugs for Bipolar2/3 which I was just diagnosed with - I'm on Lamactil, and it has far less side effects then the Celexa I was on. I've also had a bunch of talk therapy which has helped me with my coping skills.

You are your best advocate, if you don't put your foot forward, how can anyone help you?

iam also the same. I can't believe others are like me. after a long depression all my senses stopped. physically and emotionally. I am seeking help for bith emotional and physical.

Hey guys... I do know and am a member of a really great group online that is very communicative for feelings like ours... numbness or depression (even if you maybe feel like its not) it is upsetting. Anyways check it out its somewhere to vent...with people who know what it feels (errr doesn't feel like lol).

The answer is Social Phobia/Social Anxiety

Best of Wishes to all and I Hope I have been of Help to anyone

I just don't seem to care about much of anything these days. I feel like I have done everything I am going to do and I have everything I am ever going to have and it's all downhill from here. I have no hopes or aspirations for the future. I never make plans because they always fall through and I am always dissappointed. I just can't see any reason why I am still alive.

pretty much how i am and i the only time i cried was when i was five and then i never did again. i probably would not even care if someone i know dies. when i am by myself i think too much about depressing things (life, society, and humanity (yes they are very depressing things you hardly see anything good on the news about anything)). i pretty much hate humanity, if the world were to be destroyed i think it would be a good thing. if someone wanted to kill me i would let them and not even care. i am so apathetic that i don't even want to get friends or live.

Yeap, i feel all of you except im the exact opposite, i can experience normal emotions but not love, or happiness, im not depressed, im actually more at a monotone all the time, the only word to really describe how i feel is "blah" neither good nor bad and its been this way for over a year now, ever since i have a nervous breakdown and a good case of depression i've just been switched off, unfortunately you can't really find anything about this on the internet, you can type in emotional numbness and the most that will come up are these forums compared to when you type in sneezing or a rash then thousands of results come up on what you may have
and list the symptoms of the diagnosis

in my opinion doctors should be looking into this because after i've read quite a few books on psychology its seems like when a form of trauma occurs in your life,i believe the body purposely shuts off certain emotions to protect itself from trauma re-occurring, kinda like a natural self-defense against pain.
and if that theory is correct then in order to feel certain emotions again your going to have to heal yourself emotionally, and books in my opinion would be the best way to do it since they specialize in healing emotional pain, and hold untold knowledge you'll never learn from watching spongebob all day, though reading may sound boring, but these kind of books aren't like the kind you read in jr high, trust me, you'll be in shock at how interesting a book can be when it allows you to change every aspect of your life for the better.

i wish there was an actual true explanation for it though, because it seems like the after effect, of trauma, or panic attacks, that it causes this condition of "numbness" , i don't believe that its depression, or anxiety but rather the aftermath of it
i don't think any type of chemical imbalance in the brain will make you emotionally numb, unless its serotonin, or dopamine so i don't know why doctors associate it with depression, and post traumatic stress, i believe it is an entirely different cause and should be treated as an entirely different illness

all i can say is since theres no known medical condition for this that has been discovered even though im sure millions suffer from this because of how many people have replied to this simple blog that the most you can do is what i did, to try and heal parts of me and my emotions that have been blocked off, read some self help books and i'll give you recommendations of books that have helped me more than a shrink ever could, i know it may sound cheesy but if you could pay 15 bucks to change your life naturally vs. paying a ridiculous amounts a month to only have someone who dosen't care about you, ask you a few questions then hand you a prescription?? i think the answer is evident , and im sure that going out and buying a book right now wouldn't kill any of you since obviously you are all searching for answers

here's a few books i have personally read and would defiantly recommend, and you can find them at any barnes and noble or borders, you can even go on their website and look inside the book and decide if its right for you, like i said its better then "how do that make you feel" from the shrinks
this one would be for those who have suffered from verbal abuse

this is the best i can come up with
good luck