Hello. I remember that people were calling me cold hearted lady because I am not showing my emotions. Not ever. I don't know why, but I can't feel good when I hug someone or I can't feel good if I am crying in front of someone. A couple of days ago, my cat died and since that day I am crying a lot. Not just because of my cat, but for everything. I don't know what is going on with me, but I start to believe that I am not OK mentally. Can you tell me are uncontrollable emotions one of the warning signs of depression?

Uncontrollable emotions are indeed a warning sign of depression but it doesn't necessarily have to mean that you are suffering from depression. Do you have any other symptoms which you could share with us, it will be easier for us to make a conclusion based on your other symptoms, if you have any.

There are a lot of people who are cold - hearted and this is just how they are, it has nothing to do with depression or anything else. However, if there are reasons for you to think that you are suffering from depression, you should probably talk to your doctor about it.

I don't think that this is a sign of depression, Hatigie. I have these episodes when I just kind of can't control my emotions but I think that this is kind of normal, how can someone control their emotions? You just can't, I sometimes simply start crying, just to get the things out of my system, but I can also start laughing uncontrollably for no particular reason, when I just feel like it. I experience these kind of things but I am 100% sure that I am not suffering from depression so neither are you, trust me on this one because I'm right.

I believed that those are not the signs of depression, but last two days I caught myself that I am in really weird condition and I don't know is this because of my possible depression or what. The problem is because I haven't consulted anybody about this issue. But now when I am reading your comments, I can tell that I don't believe that I am cold - hearted. At least not that too much. Yes, I understand and I am one of those who can't control my emotions that well, I was controlling them when I was alone and I never showed it in front of my friends...But now I am totally different and I don't know what to do about it. Should I talk to someone?

Hi!

It can be but it doesn't have to mean necessarily. It is true that some of the symptoms of depression can be lack of energy, sadness, crying and more but it can also be something else. 

Anyway, it is very hard to understand what means when you say uncontrollable emotions. What uncontrollable emotions means for someone. For example, I never connected my huge sadness with depression. And this was not a sign of the depression at all. Something other caused a depression in my case. So I am also very skeptical when it comes to this and I don't believe that you are dealing with depression. 

Yes, I believe that you should talk to someone if you are having doubts like these. Depression is quite a serious condition and if someone is doubting about suffering from this disorder, he should seek help immediately because the sooner you notice it, easier the treatment is going to be.

These uncontrollable emotions that you are talking about definitely do not mean that you are suffering from depression but if you really have some other signs or symptoms which would make you think that you are actually suffering from it, then you should just go and consult someone about all of this.

Not in my case. First sign of the depression in my case was - no emotions! I think that in short time I lost emotions for everyone.

That is why I don't believe that emotions are a sign of the depression. Why? Because feeling down from time to time is a normal part of life, and that is why I can't connect it with depression. Sure,  when emotions such as hopelessness and despair take hold and just won't go away, you may have depression but it also can be something else. Depression makes it tough to function and enjoy life like you once did, that is totally correct.