Hello everyone,

I know about what depression does to you. I have been suffering from depression for about two full years and it hasn't been easy. I feel like it was a test for me, a really long life test and I have passed it, I am so happy today because of the fact that I overcame this period of my life.

Anyway, I am curious to know about one thing regarding depression. I know that you become emotionally numb during depression, but I never really knew why does this happen. Does anyone have an opinion on this, what do you think?

I somehow think that what causes emotional numbness in people suffering from depression is the fact that they think that nobody understands them. How can you feel emotionally connected to anyone who doesn't understand you? And it is well known that depressed people think how nobody understands them and therefore they don't want anyone to be around them.

I don't know if there is any other reason for this, but this one makes the most sense to me. I thought about this some time ago and I got to this conclusion, maybe someone will share the same opinion as I do.

Your theory makes sense, Deni. I think they choose to be emotionally numb. They choose to distance themselves from everybody and they choose to not feel any emotions. They are too busy with their thoughts to be able to focus on feelings. They become thinkers, they overthink and there isn't really any time to spend on emotions there. Plus, all of their thoughts are pretty much dark so that contributes even more to not being able to have emotions. 

Anyway, it should all get better once this person stops being depressed and gets over it, so that has to say something about this.

I had two of my own theories but these are going to sound stupid compared to yours so I'm not even going to mention it. I could just search around and see what the scientists and studies say but I really wanted to figure this out myself. Well, not really by myself, with your help, let's say it that way.

All that you said makes sense. Like I said, I have been suffering from depression myself for about two years and I really know how it feels, but I wanted to see what other people think when it comes to emotional numbness. 

That is actually the answer that I am trying to find out for a lot of years and trust me, it is hard because everyone has different definition of it.

But I do know some things... Depression can definitely be a sign of emotional numbness and there is no doubt about this. Also, some post - traumatic stress disorders can have a big impact on it. When people feel some emotional disorder, such as some natural disaster or some sexual harassment, that can play a huge role in people behavior. 

But a lot of people just don't understand anything of it...

Well, sure, but in my case stress is the main thing that is causing an emotional numbness for me. Generally, stress is a normal part of everyone's life, but when it becomes overwhelming and starts affecting a person emotionally, emotional numbness can develop indeed. Now, this kind of the emotional stress can result from conflicts at home, work, with family and friends as well. In that case emotionally stressed people may become apathetic, and they can start use more alcohol or drugs. Also, they can have trouble sleeping and generally it can be very hard for them to do their work....This stress I call silent killer.

Yes, I totally forgot that the stress is one of the bad things that also can happen to you. I know that when I am stressed and depressed I just don't have motivation for anything that is going on around me.

So I also do believe that lack of motivation can be the reason why someone is dealing with emotional numbness. I don't have any motivation to be with someone, I don't have any motivation to be around my boyfriend or to talk to him about me and my problems when I am depressed.

That is why this is very hard for me to handle, but I am trying.  

Hey there. It is really easy to understand it indeed. The main reason why do we feel numb during depression and the main reason that causes us an emotional numbness is because they are killing will in us to fight or to do something that can make us feel much better. But again, both - physical and emotional numbness can be frightening, but you can win in that war, and also you should know that there are a variety of health conditions that can cause those experiences. They may also be caused by nothing more than anxiety but generally, I think that the proper answers on those questions can be given by your doctor. Seek for help, seek for answers, why not?

Yes, I agree. I also need to tell that sometimes I feel really bad because I do know that depression is really powerful condition that is playing a huge rule in my life, but like many of people I can't control it as well.

It is even more powerful than we can realize it. I am aware that becoming physically numb can be incredibly frightening, but becoming emotionally numb can also be very serious and that is why we need to do something to fight it. Emotional numbness is essentially feeling emotionless and I am aware that this condition related a great deal to depression and extreme stress.