I am 23 years old and I had a baby 9 months ago I have been on the pill since i was 17 but since the lack of taking the pill properly, is why my daughter is here in the first place, i decided to try the mirena, out of sight out of mind. Or so I thought. Before Mirena was inserted My nurse practioner and I sat down and talked about what he was going to do and what to expect. HE told me that I was going to feel some discomfort and a little cramping, but it would not be to the point where i would want him to stop the procedure. When the procedure began everything went according to the plan, but as he was putting the device in the measure to see if I was the right fit for the mirena I felt a little more than a slight cramp but I wrote it off to me having a low tolerance for pain. Then comes the mirena, I felt like there was a knife slowly cutting at my insides and it was excruciating. I didn't tell him to stop though because I was thinking that the pain would go away. After he removed the speculum the pressure lessoned, but it did not go away. He said the pain should have been subsiding but it was increasing, it got so bad until I was balled over in the bathroom of the office on the floor crying. I could tell that this reaction had never happened to him before because of the look on his face. I stayed in that bathroom for about 30 minutes crying until someone had to drive me home. on the way out the door, I vomitted and that gave me some relief. I don't think the vomitting is normal though. It has been three days since the mirena was placed and that pain has not gone away it is a lot less intense but a cramping pain never the less. I also have been spotting since the mirena was put in it never stopped it kept on. My period was not on when the mirena was placed and i think that, that may be a reason for my distress. I just want some feedback because I do not believe that this is normal.

This was posted a while ago, so I'm not sure if my response would do you any good. Either way, I just wanted to respond to let you know that I went through something very similar.

The doctor said it would be a 2 minute procedure, but it took 15 minutes. Each time he tried, it hurt so bad, and three other nurses had to hold me down. After the ordeal, he explained to me that the whole reason for this was because I have a curved cervical canal. I guess it's not exactly a common thing? Either way, that was why it apparently hurt so bad and was so difficult, and it may be the reason why it still hurts now.

They have to dilate your cervix, and people who've had Mirena (and kids) liken the pain to childbirth, and use a number of instruments to get the IUD in. So if you have a low tolerance of pain you won't be happy. Depending on the person the pain should dull every moment, but if you feel it getting unbearable you should contact who did the procedure.

I got the mirena done yesterday. I am in so much pain. I hasve been laying down with my heating pad. I have been taking over the counter meds and still the cramping.. I am spotting. I NEVER been in this much pain in my life.. I am hoping this is worth this.. I have no kids. So more pain for me to get the mirena inserted.

The pain does go away and it will be worth it. I promise. The MIrena changed my life. Just give it time. YOu are cramping so bad because there is somethign in your body that shouldnt be. Your body will try to reject it. Eventually the pain will go away and you will get your life back. Promise!!!

Hi, Im 18 and never had children and on a scale of 1 to appendicitis this insertion was a 9.5. I almost blacked out and when i finally was able to go to the bathroom i layed down of the floor to cool myself off, I threw up. the doctor told me i was having contractions, my uterus was squeezing my IUD to test it, apperently normal, I lied there for almost two hours. Some people are different so this may not happen to you but defintly the IUD is worth it. I dont regret any of it.