Hello! I am 29 years old female and I suffer from epilepsy. I am trying to avoid seizures by taking trileptal and is going well so far but the problem is that I would like to get pregnant and I wonder if taking this med can hurt the baby?

Trileptal is listed in Pregnancy Category C. This means that caution is advised, but the benefits of the medicine may outweigh the potential risks. You should talk to your doctor or another health professional if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. There isn’t enough information to be able to estimate the risk of various types of birth defects that might occur if Trileptal is taken during pregnancy. How much Trileptal is passed through breast milk is also not known for certain, but the way the body uses it suggests that probably a large portion does enter the milk. If you want to breastfeed your baby, check with your doctor about what seizure medicine would be best for you.

hi, i am 5 weeks pregnant and i take 600 mg of trileptal a day. has anyone had a healthy baby while on trileptal?

A new client of mine just reported that she was on 600mg of trileptal 2xday when she was pregnant with her 16 mo old son who was born with a pelvic kidney and has developmental delays. I don't know yet whether she took care of herself and pregnancy in other ways. She said that her new neurologist told her it could have been due to the Trileptal. Her previous neurologist told her she's be ok on it. You should not stop your meds suddenly but should discuss with ob and whoever prescribes it.

Hi I am 17 weeks pregnant. I take 900mg twice a day to control my epilepsy. I am seeing a perinatologist as well as my OB/GYN and my Neurologist. All of them agree there just is not enough information out there to really be sure. the are following me VERY closely. I am using a food journal and telling what i eat when i eat when i take my pills when i am nauseated. it almost feels like an invasion of my life but they are going to send all the data to Harvard after the pregnancy is done. Hopefully to help out and gather info for other women and soon we won't be sitting around just waiting for and answer. So far all the testing is coming back great. This is my second child the first i was not on any medications because i did not have epilepsy. This go around is a little different for me. Baby is great :-) I don't feel so hot though :-(