Hello!
Need advice! 2 weeks ago I noticed bruise on my left leg (where the shin bone is). The bruise is vertical (as the shin bone) and looks like a plenty little markes. I didn’t hit my leg or anything, besides the mark isn’t painful, at least it wasn’t till now. Today I woke up with tingling pain in my leg (left leg, where the mark is) and this really scared me. I am beginning to worry. I also have no insurance that is why I am posting this first. Do you people think this is bone cancer?

Hey, hey,
I wouldn’t firstly think this is bone cancer. It is hard to say what is wrong with you. But I can tell you what most common symptoms for bone cancer are. Of course they vary from person to person and depend on the localization and size of cancer. Most common symptoms are pain and swelling and tenderness of affected area; sometimes bone cancer can lead to weaken bones and even fracture. Besides those symptoms, there are others, common to all types of cancer; tiredness, fever, weight loss, anemia. But then again none of these symptoms (in your case even swelling and painful leg are sure symptoms that there is a bone cancer).
Though you have no insurance, there is no way you can figure it out whether you have bone cancer or not on forum. You need a check up (blood tests…) with doctor.
Best wishes!

I am curious if you ever found what is wrong with your shin. I recently noticed a bruise much as you described and it had lumps as well as swelling the day i noticed it I passed out in the bath went to the E room and they ran all kinds of tests on my head, chest and lungs but werent concerened with my leg. Ithen went to a family DR who sent me to another DR who sent me to a specialist who then sent me back to the Emergency room they finally ran a venous Doppler (fancy name for ultrasound of my leg) and found nothing, no clots svt or dvt and promptly sent me home told me to elevate my leg and take asprin but could not give me a valid reason as to why the bruise and the fainting spell

If you have any info please email me ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web adresses not allowed **

thanks

Hi! Do you jog or engage in similar activities?
I jog regularly and I must have caused an overuse injury or something when my lower leg became very tender and painful. I didn’t get any bruises but after several days, I noticed some swelling and bumps over the shin bone. I went to a sports doc who told me I have shin splints. This is actually not a diagnose in itself but only describes a cluster of symptoms that were caused by an underlying condition. This usually happens if you didn’t warm yourself properly before running or exercising or if you didn’t use your leg properly.

I was ordered to rest and apply ice packs and elevate my legs to stop the swelling.
Maybe you could ask to have x-rays, bone scan, MRI or something. I can’t relate to the fainting though!

any unexplained bruises need to be checked out by a dr. my sister had them for months. then found a lump in her breast, that developed. after her treatment 3 weeks later had full blown overion cancer so please have it checked. and maybe they can catch it before it becomes cancer. my sister lost that battle so good luck I will pray for you.

hello hello! first time to EVER post something on a medical website. i am also quite curious to find out what's up with your shin. i googled "unexplained bruises on shins" and this is the forum that i stumbled upon. i have bruises on both shin bones. but they're not normal looking bruises. kind of red pin-point-sized blotchy marks that look almost rash-y. at first i imagined the most bizarre prognosis and thought it was KS, which is one of the first signs of HIV. well, i haven't been tested recently, but at this point i've ruled it out after speaking with my doctor (good idea to get checked regularly though :-) ). anywho, i then found quite a few signs that led me toward anemia / iron deficiency. i'm not well-informed on this topic at ALL, considering i just noticed these marks about 4 days ago and haven't had a chance to get some good research done. if there's anyone who can kindly explain this to me, i'd love to hear more about it.

let me know what you found out about your "shin situation", it'd sure make me feel a lot better to talk to someone who's had the same spontaneous and unexplained bruising like me.

best.

Hi, You might very well have Erythema nodosum. I have similar front-of-shin bruising on and off and years ago, I went to my doctor after reading about Erythema nodosum on the Internet. There are a bunch of reasons for it, but I believe it was hypersensitivity to Claritin D. I believe it had something to do with sulphonamides or sulfides. I stopped taking it and they went away. Now I have some periodically again, and I am looking into what is in the drugs I take.

My internist years ago knew about Erythema nodosum but never had seen it. She looked in the book and said my diagnosis appeared right. This is one of those things that probably only dermatologists would know right off the bat. Below is a little info I got off of DermNetNZ.

Erythema nodosum is a skin condition where red lumps form on the shins, and less commonly the thighs and forearms. It is a type of panniculitis.

Three to six women are affected for each man with erythema nodosum (EN). However the sex incidence before puberty is about equal. Most cases occur between the ages of 20 and 45, with a peak from 20 to 30. EN occurs occasionally in the elderly and in children.

EN appears to be a hypersensitivity reaction with a number of different causes:

Throat infections; these may be due to streptococccus, or viral in origin.
Sarcoidosis; EN is often associated with enlargement of the lymph nodes (bihilar lymphadenopathy) in the lungs in sarcoidosis. This is known as Lofgren's syndrome. It may result in a dry cough or some shortness of breath.
Tuberculosis (TB); EN occurs with the primary infection with TB. TB in New Zealand is currently uncommon.
Pregnancy or the oral contraceptive pill; EN may occur after the first 2 or 3 cycles on the pill. EN may occur in pregnancy, clear after delivery, then recur in subsequent pregnancies.
Other drugs; other drugs which can cause EN include: sulphonamides, saliclyates, other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), bromides, iodides and gold salts.
Good luck!

I don't know how to post my own question. But I have something SOMEWHAT similar However I have a lot more symptoms.

I played soccer until I was 17, lost my scholarship and all, due to a serious knee injury. But this has nothing to do with my knees. Infact its my shins as well. About a year ago I noticed this small lump on my shin. It was about the size of a pea. and it almost felt like you could move it, but you couldn't if that makes sense. Anyways about 6 months ago my shins became extremely sensitive. it got to the point that I would almost cry shaving my legs. I continued to ignore it but then about 2 months ago it started bruising. The bruise would stay for about 4 days then go away for 2 and then come back (still doing this). Then about a month ago I formed this bump on my shin its not THAT noticeable, its not like I have another leg growing out of it or anything, but its def noticeable if you look at it at an angle. So back to what I was saying, its a bump, and that little lumpy thing is in the middle of it and the bruises continue to appear and disappear.

I bruise really easily all over my body, most of my bruises I don't know how they happened, however they have never been reoccurring like this one. Anyways, I'm just concerned because I have an uncle who got hurt and then it formed this rare type of cancer, when the docs opened him up to remove the tumor, it spread. there was a 1% chance of it traveling to the lungs, and he was that 1%. Anyways they just took him of chemo and all radiation and said nothing else they could do, so the fact that my uncle is basically dying, scares the c**p out of me that it could be happening to me. I've tried to ask him about the beginning stages, however, it only created an argument in my family. I guess you could say cancer is a very touchy subject in my family.

Any help would be wonderful! :)

I also had similar symptoms in my early 20s and it was diagnosed as Erythema nodosum.  It was so painful if I slightly bumped the area and caused large vertical bruises and some swelling.  My primary care physician sent me to my gyno after finding out I was on birth control.  My gyno immediately switched my birth control pills and the symptoms went away after a couple weeks.  I haven't had issues since, 10 years!

Hi! My friend had the same thing but on her thigh. It slowly got more painful to the point where it was painful to walk, run and just hurt when she was sitting. It ended up being a stress fracture. If you exercise or are active there is possibility it could be the same thing. Also it could be shin splints. Best of luck!

Do you know if being on birth control and can cause random bruising?

i have had same problems since before xmas coming and going away again,after tests at hospital the doctors have stated they think it is henoch-schonlein purpura,.This is more common in children but can be found in adults,carrying lots of side effects.

Do you remember how long after you started birth control it started?

Several years ago I experienced extremely tender shins (for no apparent reason). Along with the tenderness, I also had redness and bruising. Looking down I could see there were "lumps" on my shins. The tenderness was SO BAD that even a very light blanket or sheet gently placed on me legs was painful. I went to the doctor and their first thought was that I had some kind of insect bites. I was treated such, however, this did not help. Basically, I was misdiagnosed about five different times. Frankly, each doctor that was in my insurance "group" seemed stumped. Finally, I walked into a new doctor's office and this man took one look at my legs and said he knew exactly what I had. He called it erythema nodosum. There was no "real" treatment for this. It had to run its course. I felt very relieved to have someone properly and confidently diagnose me. After reading up on the subject I completely agreed that is what I was experiencing. I hope this helps at least one person out there.

I HAD BLACK MARKS UP BOTH SHINS AND 2 DOCTORS AT ONCE SAID T.B. my advice Get an X-Ray