Hello. I'm 45 year woman and I have some problems I would like to discuss with you.
For about three years now I have been spitting up yellowish-white pea-size chunks with a really bad odor from my throat (usually come when coughing or sneezing).
I don’t know what to do.
They come up periodically usually about once every six months.
I don’t know should I be worried about this, because beside a bad adore, I don’t have nay other problems concerning this.
Any advice will be most then welcome!

I'm a medical student and I know a bit about this.
Because your condition is present for several years and it didn’t progress at all, I wouldn’t say it is part of some disease which has some generalized character.
Because this problem has gone on for so long and it has not changed a lot, it is most likely related to either an allergic problem or a chronic sinus problem. You didn’t mention is this happening in some specific part of year
If this problem does not really bother you, I am not sure I would do much more than you are doing.
If you want to get rid of this than you should schedule some allergy tests and even CT could be helpful.
Good luck with your testings.

hallmark wrote:

I used to be a Dental Asst. and a couple patients had this same thing you discribed. These small yellow smelly curds stuck in their throat they could cough up from time to time. My Dentist said the name but I can't remember,something like gleicks??Ask your Dentist about this.
Good luck with your testings.

Quote:

this is called tonsil stones, i know because i have the same problem

Those yrllow and white chunks are called tonsil stones and there actually pretty common. I get them all the time and I looked it up online. They are just food particles and bacteria that get caught up in these little holes in the back of your throat called tonsil crypts. Your body has them so that they can catch some bacteria and possibly prevent you from getting an infection.

I have had this on and off throughought my life. I have even known a friend who had it. we thought it was chucnks of semen from giving oral sex. but No !! A few years after that I went to the doctor for a throat check up with a small video camera inserted into my nose and down my throat. There was nothing wrong with me , I only had a small cold it turns out. But the Psyician's assistant asked me a ton of questions, and ended up asking me if I ever coughed up small whitish yellow balls that smell very bad. And I told her that I had oh maybe, once or twice a year on and off. SHe told me that it was because of the small indents that I had in my throat, that some people have them and some dont. SO they are just food particles and bacteria, and are normal. YAY ! i thought it was so funny that she asked me if I had them, when I should have been asking her about them.

My sister and I both have this and we've come to discover that it only happens when we drink products whith heavy cream or eat creamy products like ice cream. I switched to black coffee and haven't had it since!

I've had these all of my life and was always quite ashmed to ask anyone about them because theyre so gross. the medical term for them are "tonsilloliths"
look them up in the online medical dictonary. they even have a picture of the little blighters

I get these as well....Man, they smell horrible! My doctor told me the best way to get rid of them is just buy one of those waterpiks, mix some water and mouthwash and just spray into those little pockets by your tonsils and they will all come out. He's right, it works. If you do this about once a month you won't have a problem with them any more. However, be prepared to make a mess with the water and mouthwash, you'll gag a little, and those little sacs will bleed a little when you spray with the pik because of the water pressure, but it's worth a little blood and water all over your sink and mirror!

ha ha am i alone in liking smelling the tonsil stones? i scrape them outta my tonsils and sniff away! i look forward to coughing them up! not gross at all :-)

I am writing because I need some help or advice. I started to cough up little white chunks a couple of years ago. At first it was only once in awhile, every month or so. But it has progressively gotten much worse. I am now coughing them up nearly every night or morning, and it seems to be affecting my breathing at times. and making me cough more frequently. I have never had my tonsils removed and have noticed a white spot on both my tonsils. Other than this problem, I feel perfectly fine, no cold or allergies, and it hasn't seemed to be affected by the time of year or what I eat. If any one has any advice or has seen a similar problem please let me know.

Thanks, Concerned

Wow im shocked that other people have that but yet im relieved that there are other people out there. My dad tried telling me i got them because i gave oral i had to laugh at him becuz i never have done such a thing not saying that i would but i haven' t had the experience he told me a doctor would say the same thing but i don't need a doctor thanks to yall. I actually thought that i had a cut in the back of my throat htat would not heal. Cuz one day i ate a dorito and it got stuck in the back of my throat by one of those pockets and then ever since then i have been coughing and hacking these things up alot. I get these every 2-3 days maybe if i am lucky 2-3 weeks. THEY ARE SOOOOOOO NASTY AND SMELLL SO BAD. ALSO WHO EVER WROTE THAT THEY LIKE THE SMELL YOU ARE DISGUSTING THAT SOMETHING YOU COULD OF KEPT TO YOURSELF.

i've got them, too, and i found an easier way to get them out. use the curved end of a bobby pin! just press down on your tonsil a little right next to it, and just kinda sweep it out. i hate them, the smell of 'em makes me gag :-(

man they smell like the morning after i stay up drinking scotch and eating indian food! BARF! GAG! wtf are you talking about!?!

I don't get this very often, but they're fun to pull out!
They're often stuck in a little 'hole' or whatever it may be in my tonsil, so i have to LIGHTLY (or i gag) push on the outside of my tonsil to get it to squeeze out.

Sorry, but I'm probably not the only one who enjoys popping the occasional pimple, or picking at ingrown hairs. It is a human thing =).