I have had a problem with a constant feeling I need to clear my throat. It is not just in my head (which one doctor actually offerred as her only solution) because sometimes it is very difficult to speak unless I clear my throat; however, nothing comes up or moves. I have tried nexium and flonase and neither seem to do the trick. I think they helped a little but then symptoms just returned as normal. I am not doing a lot of sinus rinsing. This is proved helpful but has surfaced another problem, tonsilloliths or tonsil stones as they are commonly referred to. I am wondering if my throat clearing is do to these tonsil stones. My tonsil are far back in my throat. I can just barely see them when I look in the mirror. Also, my tonsil stones are out of site. I have never seen one actually stuck in my tonsil. Most of the time they shoot out after a sneeze, which usually occurs not long after a sinus rinse. I have noticed a distinct bad breath, probably due to the tonsil stones but I am not entirely sure it is not coming from my sinus cavity.

The main question I have is, is anyone else experiencing this throat clearing problem who is also suffering from tonsil stones. I usually do not feel anything back there, I just feel the need to clear my throat--usually very unproductive clearing.

hi kembo

after having my tonsils removed in a tonsillectomy i have experienced what you are experiencing for the last 7 yrs ...a constant irritation on one side of my throat & i need to cough constantly to clear it out. I was told the same things by many specialists post surgery i.e psychological but i eventually found a specialist that confirmed my worst fears-- that this was resultant scars from the damage done by the operation....and that there is no way to get rid of this ...so believe me when i say i know how you feel (its verry embaressing at work doing this or at home for that matter)

for what its worth i was also put on nexium, subjected to various tests etc all to no avail.

All the best with it but im afraid i cant offer you any solution on this one...(im looking for a solution myself here!)

regards,
john

I have had chronic tonsil stones for years, since I was a young teenager. I also clear my throat very, very often. I have never put together that there may be a connection %-)

When I was younger I had a lot of problems with my throat and tonsils and have a fair amount of scarring. I seem to always have a coating of mucous in the back of my throat and what seems to cover my vocal cords. It seems to also cause problems with swallowing pills as they seem to lodge in the area.

I saw an ENT several years ago as I was worried about all the problems I have had. I was told not to worry.

I guess that the throat clearing is annoying to others, but I have just learned to live with it.

Thanks for the post!
CJ

I recently found out that I too have tonsilloliths and I was wondering, is it possible that it could be a symptom of cancer? I can't help but be paranoid!

For the past two years, I have had a problem with constant throat clearing. It's particularly irritating when I run. I have always had problems with my tonsils, and over the past year or so started noticing tonsil stones. From what everyone else is saying, it sounds like the throat clearing and tonsil stones are associated with each other. I had sinus surgery and was put on Nexium--neither helped. I guess it's just something one has to live with...

I have been clearing my throat for about 15 years, Dr's do not seem to find any thing wrong.It is emabassing and I do it with out realizing I do it anymore.which I could find out why I do it and stop it.

hey to the first written post, I have almost identical symptoms...for as long as I can remember I have had this I need to clear my throat sensation and when I do I can clear out some clear non-infected flem build up probably due to me having allergies. Also, I sometimes accidentally cough up on rare occasions little white stones that when you smell them they smell like sulfur...not only do I feel uncomfortable almost the whole day due to this weird sensation in my throat, I also consistenly worry if I have bad breath which I know I do since these smelly stones are in my throat. I find it hard to ask for advice from doctors though because of the embarrassment of the issue and they usually try and suggest the obvious like don't breath through your mouth, what!!?? I have tried everything from allergie pills to gargling peroxide so if you are going to offer advice please tell me where these tonsilloths are located upper nasal passage or throat?

I also have the problem of constanting clearing my throat. I was also told it was just a habit and I should work on stopping it. It is not a habit I actually feel something there but doctors tell me its in my head. Really need some help.

I have to same problem. I noticed though that these white smelling stone happen more frequently if i eat late. I think that the food that stays in you mouth while sleeping builds a bacteria over time and causes the white smelling stones. Dont know though. they come and go with me.

[/
Im a thirtynine yr old female.I have been coughing up smelly cauliflower looking white to amber in color small bits of something! for yrs. At first I thought I had got some food debri in my lungs. At first it wasnt a problem but now its got to the point where I go to bed and wake up at 5 in the morning choking on these things. Sometimes Ill cough till Im sick just getting a tiny flec of hard debri to come out, and not knowing if the rest is coming. At first I was checked for allergies then many saline sprays ect. The Drs have been confusing. Whilst IM not sleeping, feeling unwell and stressed out by this problem the Dr did mention tonsil stones yet sent me to the alergist and had me gargle. Finaly I went to the E.N.T who informed me that they might be tonsil stones. She did not explain what they were. I got home and researched but could only find information on the stones attached to yours tonsils. I have never seen them, or maybe I have but didnt know, anyway my problem is coughing up these annoying little critters. After pressing for a result and letting her know I needed something done now. She suggested removing my tonsils. I jumped at this and after reading more about tonsil stones Im sure that they are the problem and I see no better solution to have them removed. Im very happy that finaly someone is going to help me. My op is planned for may 17th and il let you know how things work out. Im still concerned as someone said before about cancer etc, Im still researching these areas. I hope all of you demand medical attention...THERE IS A CURE AND IM ALMOST SURE THAT TAKING OUT THE TONSILS IS IT. good health to you all x ps sorry about the spelling and grammer, just needed to get this outfor your own size]

i just recently discovered what these things are after coughing them up for the past year. i discovered experienceproject.com/ a few days ago and ordered the grossan hydro-pulse as a result of the talk over there. it seems like a possible way to get rid of these things when they creep up.

having tonsils removed seems like a bit overboard to get rid of these, but i understand how uncomfortable they can be and everything. i just don't really want to go through surgery if i don't have to. i'll keep posted on the grossan item when i get it. i'm really hoping for it to be successful.

I hate to rain on your parade but...I have had tonsil stones since about 15 years old(I am now 26) and I had my tonsils removed over two years ago and I hadn't seen a tonsil stone but I've felt something stuck in my throat from time to time...and this morning to my horror I coughed up one of those stones. I am so depressed about it and I sometimes feel like just killing myself because of it. The paranoia about bad breath that these things cause makes my daily life hell...and I have no social life because I am way too paranoid and I just know these damn things are making me having chronic bad breath...anyways...operation is not a guarantee unfortunately...I had hoped so...believe me.

Hi there! I am 24 years old female.
I just feel much better that I am not the only one with this problem after reading all your letters (^_^), I think is good to speak about health problems that worry as, and indeed I didnt know that is such a extended and common health problem with tonsils for many people, (I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE HAPLESS, and i must accept that i was and am still a little bit scaryed having tonsil "stones")
Here is my story:
Since I was 11-12 year old I had tonsillitis every year in winter (i cured them with antibiotics and iodine for tonsils cleanup ), until i was 17 years old they do not infect no more but since about 5 years already i have tonsil "stones", and NO MORE tonsillitis , in the same form discribed by all of u, white, stinky things camed out, about 1 or twice a week(one little "stone"!!!), from my right tonsils "pocket", i have even bad breath, blocked throat sense, no pain symptoms, maybe some boby temperature sometimes (once i had tonsil redness for two days and it pas with some iodine tonsil cleanup) it is so embarrassing to live with all this. SO MY BIGGEST PROBLEMS ARE:

-will my tonsils stones be dangerous for my boyfriend?

-should i then do TONSILLECTOMY, or is there any other cure (i am a little bit scared to do TONSILLECTOMY, but if it is dangerous for me and my boyfriend health i will do it)

-is TONSILLECTOMY going to move away tonsil "stones", or there is any TONSIL NATYRAL CLEANUP METHOD before going to this final decision?

I will be happy to have soon news from you, until then wish a healthy life for all of you , WHICH is the most important thing. BYE.eva.

i had spent time writing a response yesterday but it got deleted when i had to sign up for an account. my short answer. have tonsils removed seems a bit dramatic for this. go here to read more about people's experiences, including my own: http://www.experienceproject.com/group_profile.php?g=632

I have been suffering from tonsilloliths for a long time now and just recently discovered what it is through endless research in the internet. I recently purchased a waterpik, but instead of shooting and irrigating my throat with water, I use the curved, rounded end to press on my soft palate and squeeze the white stuff out. I start from the top and press downwards and I can actually see big chunks coming out (yikes). I have been very successful with it. I can say that I have completely cleaned out one side. You may need a flashlight to see better. You may gag a few times while doing it and may even irritate the soft palate but it goes away. I just feel so much better knowing that those white odorous, disgusting junk are out of my throat. I hope this will help those suffering from tonsil stones.