So, I had this HUGE whiteish yellowish chunk of something behind my tonsil. It hurt really bad because it was so big. It also smelt and tasted HORRIBLE.
So i went to the doctor and he said it was from bacteria and stuff but he said you couldnt get rid of it yourself but i ppoked at the back of my tonsil and it popped out. i thought it was gone but it just wont stop coming. the chunks arent as big as the first one. There are little ones coming constantly and sometimes i even cough them up. Its reallly gross and i dont know what to do. I know what it is but i cant stand them coming all the time. Any advice?

Apparently (and I just found this out too), this is something called "tonsil stones", and they seem to be common and range from annoying to sorely-irritating. From what I can tell and read, it's buildup of bacteria, debris, food, or whatever in your mouth, which then (I think) may combine with some certain other chemicals from your mouth/tonsils to form the 'stones', and these usually form in holes or divots around the back of your mouth. It seems that alot of people are having decent success with removing them with water syringes or thin, long objects, or their fingers. (but then they keep coming back)

While I'm not entirely sure on this, there also seems to be "remedies" to fix the problem at the source (the certain chemicals I mentioned), but I haven't read up on them too much.

Hello there,

Unfortunately I am suffering from the same condition L

When I went to my dentist he told me that these white chunks are just extra food debris and luckily I have been searching the right answer to my question.

Although I haven’t experienced any other health issues caused by this annoying condition it really bothers me coughing them up and not to mention the bad breath. My self-confidence is seriously endangered!  

Of course when I have find out that this happens only to people who have tonsils I wanted to remove them immediately but my doctor thinks otherwise. He has suggested me to use oxygenating tablets and nasal sinus drops and he is assuring me that this will effectively eliminate my tonsil stones.

Any better ideas?

I hate to say it, but the only true cure is removal. I had mine out in my late 30's and it was so worth it. I couldn't stand the smell and worried so much about my breath that I was paranoid. I hate bad breath and it is very common with people. It is an awful situation, but there really is no cure.

I know this is an old thread, but this article has some good advice!!
https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/tonsil-stones-treatment-how-to-cure-tonsilloliths