Hi! I need advice. I have little white chunks coming out in the back of my mouth. They are, i think coming form my throat. They have terrible taste and smell. What is this?

This throat chunks could be result of sinus infection. If you get them frequently, this is a sign of ENT problem.
On the other hand, these white chunks could be result of oil build up on the tonsils. The tonsils are glands, which secret oils and are build up on the back of the tonsils. These chunks break out when this oil crusts over on the back of the tonsils. They come out of throat and are nothing but to be spit out (although they are not harmful to swallow).
I hope this helped.

Its called tonsilloliths.
They are VERY common!!!!
When you open your mouth do you see holes in your tonsils?
If you push with your finger gently, a white "stone" should come out.
They smell awful, so be warned!! =/
your throat feels kinda like its scratchin on your tongue.
Its actually bacteria.

There isnt really a cure for them... but to get your tonsils removed.
And theres not much you can do.
Chances are, it will come back again.

Ive heard to stay away from alot of dairy,
use Colgate Peroxyl. A type of mouthwash.

And ive also heard of, filling a monoject 412 syringe with honey, and put it into the crypts of your tonsils, and injecting the honey into them.
Because honey is a natural bacteria killer.

Heres a good forum for help on this.
http://www.abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/2533/

Hope I helped!!

(p.s) I suffer from this too, im only 16

The last post was a bit misguided. Those nasty white chunks that you cough out of your throat are called Tonsilloliths, or Tonsil Stones. Your tonsils have nooks and crannies in them called crypts, which are lined with oral mucosa. For some people, old oral mucosa, small food particles, and dead skin get trapped in the crypts and compacted into Tonsil Stones. The smell comes from the bacteria on the Tonsil Stones. Unfortunately, the only way to completely get rid of Tonsil Stones is to have your tonsils taken out, but you can try gargling with hot salt water after meals to keep them in check before you resort to surgery. Hope this helps.

The best way to clean out your throat, and get rid of those stones, is to routinely use a water pic and shoot the stream of water into the holes in the back of your throat. This will flush out the stones, even the deep ones that are usually hard to get to. Do it in small bursts though so you don't drown :-)

I'm only thirteen and I get this too. I've been getting it scince I was about ten. My mom gets it too. She got her tonsils removed when she was young, bt she still gets them. I have developed a abit of cleaaning them out at least one a week. It is really gross, but it is better than swallowing it. Sometimes they comeout at school and I have to put them in a crumpled up peice of paper and go throw it away. It is disgusting but my doctor won't let me get them taken out. My tonsils are HUGE but I can still breath. I hate that I can't do anything about it!

I was so relieved to discover all of you out there that suffer with the "stinky white throat chunks", for the longest time I thought it was just me. I am 31 and have been suffering with them for years and they get worse when I get sick. I never actively tried to clean them out until I recently had several come out at a very inopportune time. My son suffers from them as well so we have been trying to keep our tonsils as clean as possible. I have discovered the Q-tips help getting them out but I am looking forward to trying the waterpick idea...with salt water! I wish there was a special tonsil brush that we could use...anyone have any suggestions?

Last week I finally recovered from a case of acute sinusitis. My throat glands were swollen during the sickness and remained swollen after I had healed. The swelling started to recede but today I noticed that it had came back to how it was before. I did a search and found these forums and found out about the tonsil stones and went to check out my throat for a presence of them. I have the little white things in the crypts in my throat in what appears to be a swollen tonsil, but theres a problem. I had my tonsils removed when I was 7. Should I be concerned about this swelling?

My daughter had chronic tonsilitis, strep, swollen tonsils, etc. The poor kid couldn't breathe or swallow well nor could she sing and she is in the choir and loves to sing.

Our doctor kept putting us off and would only do surgery as a last resort.....so.....we went to another doctor. After dealing with this poor kid getting sick almost every other month among the other problems she had she was begging me to get them out. I made an appointment with an ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor). Her appointment was on a Thursday and the following Tuesday she had her tonsils and adenoids out. She has been fine since then. Had I continued to let the other doctor treat her, she would still be miserable.

Please ask your Mom to consider taking you to a specialist. You are in charge of your health.......not your doctor. If you don't like the way they are treating you, then get another doctor. Nobody should have to be miserable because the Doctor isn't ready for you to have your tonsils out.

hi does anyone know where i can buy a q-tip from?

THEY'RE CALLED TONSIL STONES. MY DAUGHTER HAD THEM. THE TONSILS ARE GROOVED, SOME PEOPLE'S MORE THAN OTHERS, AND THEY CATCH BITS OF FOOD, ETC. GARGLING FREQUENTLY HELPS, ESP AFTER EATING.

thanks to this web site I finally realized what the little white chunks were that I was having coming out of my throat. I am 32 years old and have had the problem on and off for years. I have went to my family doctor a couple of times and had a couple of test done that everything was normal.I have another appointment tomorrow and I will tell her what I found on this wed site called Tonsil Liths / Tonsil stones. I was starting to really worry that I was the only one with some weird problem of white smelly stones coming up.

Water Pic, either that brand or the Interplak water pick. As the comment above says, just blast the back of your throat with the water jet. I use a mirror and a flashlight and put the jet on a low setting. I don't know if it's just me, but I put the nozzle in the flaps of my tonsils and find there's stones in the folds as well.

I do this about once a month, but probably should do it more.

i am so happy that i am not the only person in the world with this odd issue!! i have had these annoying little chunks forever. I believe they started to be consistant after i was sick this winter. It is litterally the grossest thing to cough or sneeze and feel a chunk fly from the depths of your throat and what is even worse is taking it out, sqishing it and wondering where that awful smell is coming from...once i realized it was int he back of my throat i was sort of horified. to think that something that was coming out of my mouth smelled that nasty! i am totally paranoid about my breath smelling and stuff now....
its awful...

I have found that using a tweezer is helpful with my weekly de-chunking....but beware if you pull and poke to much you will bleed!! :'(

I AM GLAD I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!

I have those white chunks too I thought it was from eating garlic or not brushing good enough I tried to pick them out with q tips and salt water they smell EXTREMELY bad and make your breath smell they scratch your tounge and ache my tonsils. I have holes in my tonsils and when I lightly push a huge white chunk comes out, my tonsils are constantly sore! I guess its this tonsithillis or something like that?
Im only sixteen o.O
im so glad this website is here i thought I was the only one