8-| since I was about 9 years old I have been coughing up smelly green hard lumps from my throat. sometimes it gets a little sore. when this happends. I went to the doctors about it he just game me some anti-biodics which didn't help much. what is the name of this problem I have?

when i was sixteen i went to my doctors with swollen green tonsills and i was given antibiotics.for the next nine years i was told that my tonsills were so small that no surgen would take them out . when i was eventully rerfered to the hospital i was told that my infection was so deep rooted that no antibiotic would shift it .like you i had been spitting/coughing up green hard lumps for years

I have had green lumps that come out when I cough up phlegm too. I don't know what it is. Anyone know?

i have the same problem! ive had it for about a few years now, but ive noticed it significantly this year.

im gonna bring a sample of it to my doctors this week. hopefully we can get an answer to this mystery.....

I have had this since my college days and have recently found out that they are called Tonsil Stones, or as Wikipedia calls them, Tonsilloliths. Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsil_stones for more info.

They are harmless and only cause inconvenience and discomfort. Finally, we have the answer!!!

I had my tonsils taken out 20 years ago and just recently began coughing up smelly green lumps with the consistency of cheese.
These are coming from my sinuses and are coughed up because of a Post Nasal Drip.
Being a retired microbiologist I assume these are colonies of bacteria growing in the sinuses.
When I notice they are back I douche my sinuses with a mixture of Alkalol, Hydrogen Peroxide and water.
That is NOT a spelling error above, it is a consumer product named Alkalol, it is kept behind the pharmacy counter and has to be requested.
The mixture I make is about 1/3 Alkalol, 2/6 water and 1/6 Hydrogen Peroxide.
It will Burn.

I too have had hard green lumps that seem to grow on my tonsils. Every now and then they get so big they either pop out or i have to get them myself because they are so annoying! They are pretty gruesome in both look and smell. some years ago my doctor told me that i had deep crevices where food gets lodged and over time becomes these lumps and I should not be alarmed it was one of those things. I have recently come to call them tonsil stones. See drgreene.org - it may explain more! XD

I am only 15, but I always get like these hard, lumps of phlegm stuck in my throat. They are extremely hard to get out. I cough, I gargle, I try basically everything but it just won't work. It onlys goes away when it wants to. It is very annoying and it always feels like it is stuck in my throat and sometimes it hurts. What is this and why does it happen?

Not all directories are for adults and not all adults are for adult directory

I have also experienced breathing trouble, but on a smaller scale. It was bronchospasm and I couldn't breathe properly for hours. It passed away with some pill a pharmacy gave me. Your problem seems more serious, but I have also experienced some smaller green tonsils.

My son gets the same thing, I use to but now my tonsils are pretty much shrunk to nothing. Those lumps are from pits in the tonsils, just debris that collects in these pits and yes they smell and cause bad breath.

You are right they are not necessarily tonsil stones because I get those too. Mine are white cottage cheese like balls that come from the deep cripts of my tonsils.

I cycle every year usually at the change of seasons between coughing up clear yellow mucous from the back of my throat (post nasal drip )to really thick sticky hard green muscous. When it cloggs my nose and sinuses the doctor gives me antibiotics which clear it for 2 weeks and then I'm right back at coughing up the green stuff. When I started to use Nasacort to keep my sinuses open I have not gotten a sinus infection in two years. I read a study from Mayo suggesting that it is mold growing in the sinuses and of course antibiotics don't kill fungi. I inherited my fathers sinuses and a CAT scan revealed that he in fact had poylps and mold in his sinus causing all the muscous. Mayo is working on a treatment for the mold that will be out in about 2 years.

I will try the Alkalol -I did see it referred to as a treatment for bad breath related to sinus/tonsil stones in another article

After looking this up and trying to find out what i have been coughing up i know know that it is tonsil stones

im 14 =
mine dont even smell they jus taste REALLY unbarable i feel like killing myself.
my story
a few months ago i could not get rid of this foul taste! And had a white fing on my tonsil, i was diagnosed with a mile viral infection or mild tonsilitus and was told it will go away, it didnt and later on i had these green things coming up every once in a while and they just randomly come out, i try to coff them up but they refuse to move
the taste finally went after a month and i was so happy
but the other month it came again and i had one come out today :-(
i am so happy and at my age it is a big confidence dropper
i went on forums for a cure but all i see is picking them out, I CANT SEE ENYFING! exept my right tonsil is bigger than my left :S
i need it to go, the other day i even tried swallowing reli strong mouthwash to sort of burn them away but instead had a really sore stomach and felt sick all day
please help its driving me mad
x

Hi, I have had these since I was a kid. I went a Gluten free diet and have not had them since. There is some research to support this!

I wake up sick to my stomach every morning and have for several years. I feel like I just want to throw up. I have to get out of bed even if I am tired. I have flymn in my throat and green cores sometimes come out of my throat. I do NOT have tonsils so I am not sure if you consider mine as tonsil stones. I feel like I have a pocket in my throat at times and some things don't go down as easy. Some of the cores are pea size and others smaller. They can be from light yellow to light green and brother, they do smell. I always wondered what these were and if it is why my stomach feels so nautious when I wake up. Sure would love to have a peaceful and calm stomach when I wake up.