Went to ER a week ago and was told I have an external thrombosed hemorroid. I was given pain killers and ointment and told to contact a surgeon. I couldn't get an appointment until next Tuesday. The pain is gone though I can still feel that the hemorroid is still there. I was not told on what I would have to do with the surgeon and am worried that I will have to have surgery. Would this be a necerssary step considering the pain is gone and it's been so long since I went to the ER? I don't want to experience that pain again that is for sure.

If you have a regular dr. then I'd strongly recommend going to them asap and getting checked out. Otherwise, go see the surgeon. Ask a lot of questions bc there are many different types of hemorrhoids and they can be handled differently. You may be able to change your diet and habits enough to at least put off any kind of surgery for a while. I totally ignored mine, and I'm regretting it now. I just had two thrombosed hemorrhoids removed 5 days ago, and the recovery is rough, but life with those things wasn't an option for me. Just be sure to get as much reliable information as you can, and make the decision that is right for you and your lifestyle.