After I had typical symptoms of hemorrhoids I visited my doctor. He confirmed my fears and diagnosed me with hemorrhoids. What made me upset was something he told me. He said I have thrombosed hemorrhoids and I need surgery. I want to know what kind of hemorrhoids are thrombosed ones?

Everyone have blood filled sacs that cushion the passage of stool through the anal canal. When those sacs become stretched and enlarged, they are called hemorrhoids. They can occur during or after pregnancy, after long periods in a seated position, or because constipation or diarrhea. Hemorrhoids are generally classified as external, or the ones that are placed on outside of the anal canal. They can be very painful, and internal hemorrhoids, which are inside the anal canal and those hemorrhoids might protrude and bleed. External can become thrombosed, what mean they developed blood clots inside, and they become very tender. Those blood clots caused by thrombosed hemorrhoids can produce pain with walking, sitting or passage of stool. It is not clearly why healthy people suddenly develop clots in external hemorrhoids. One of treatment for thrombosed external hemorrhoids is to allow clots to be absorbed by the body over several weeks. Most experts recommend that blood clots of thrombosed hemorrhoids should be surgically removed.