I have two questions about Hemorrhoids and they are based on Traditional Hemorrhoid Surgery (scalpel removal).

1. With regards to recovery time and "amount of Pain" ....is it worse to go through external or internal hemorrhoid removal? I had three external removed six days ago and it hasnt been that bad. However when you read this blogs it scares people to death so I wondered if many of these horror stories are from internal cases.

2. If you have had external hemorrhoids are you at higher risk to develop internal hemorrhoids than the average person?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Yes, it is more painful to go through internal hemorrhoid removal. You need more time to heal. Pain is the most common complaint after surgery, especially during bowel movements. Pain medication can help provide pain relief. Do not take any new medication without your doctor's approval. Soaking in a warm bath might also help reduce pain. Taking stool softeners can make it easier to move your bowels, which helps prevent straining and constipation. Straining to have a bowel movement can lead to a recurrence of hemorrhoids. In most cases, recovery takes about two weeks following hemorrhoidectomy. In some cases, it can take as long as three to six weeks to make a full recovery. External hemorrhoids usually are not removed with surgery except if they are very large and uncomfortable. Hemorrhoidectomy is considered the most successful way to treat large internal hemorrhoids, especially those that are still a problem after treatments that cut off blood flow to hemorrhoids have been tried. A drawback to this procedure is that the incisions are made in a highly sensitive area and might require stitches, which can cause the area to be tender and painful. Further, the anal sphincter might be damaged during surgery, which can lead to pain and/or fecal incontinence.

can you tell me how bad you would say the pain was from just getting your externals removed? Im 22 and the doctor is doing the banding for the internals i have and said that he can remove the external and its only 2 weeks to recover instead of 6 and a hell of a lot of pain. He told me to get the internals removed its a 15 out of 10 on the pain scale so im just wondering how you would rate getting the just the externals removed since you got it done. and how painful was it to poo.

thanks

Honestly if you were gonna get the externals done I would just have them do the internals at the same time. My doc who was highly recommended said that is almost always the case. The pain isn't that bad, its certainly not fun but the whole experience was manageable. Taking motrin in between the doses of prescription pain killers is the way to go. I'm 30 days post surgery and playing sports again. I would plan on two weeks off work, that's conservative. You wont be back to normal but you'll be good enough to get back into a routine. The first couple bowel movements suck take lots of softeners and try to lay off the pain killers as much as possible so you dont get too constipated.

All I can say is I'm VERY HAPPY I had the procedure done, it was TOTALLY WORTH IT. Don't live like that, I was scared off my ass after reading threads on this forum. Just remember, only people with negative experiences tend to complain. Most people have it without a hitch. If your that young and already have externals get them taken care of, you dont want to live the next 10 years with constant flare ups. I had all three areas removed so they should be gone for good. If you dont get all three areas done there is always a chance they could return in the non operated areas.

Get a surgeon that is highly recommended and GET IT DONE!

I totally agree. I also had this procedure almost 6 years ago and if you ask me, this was the best hemorrhoids relief way for me.

I don't understand why people are scared of this procedure when it is well known that this procedure can help you, especially if you do know that once you get them, hemorrhoids can always come back.

Of course that there can be some negative experiences, but I would suggest you not to listen what other people are saying. 

When we are talking about internal and external hemorrhoids, you should know that internal hemorrhoids are far enough inside the rectum that you can't usually see or feel them, while external re under the skin around the anus and you are in the bigger pain if you are dealing with it. 

I know this is an old post, but I recently had an external hemmie lanced and drained, and it was easier than going to the dentist! No kidding! I was a little sore and bruised [from the lidocaine injection], but my pain levels went way down and I only needed to gently clean by taking a few tub soaks. I highly advise this. I would do again in a heartbeat if it happens again. The lanced side has healed fast and feels better than a new baby's butt!!

I HAD SIX HEMMOROIDS REMOVED ON JUNE 27 , THREE WERE THROMBOSED AND BLEEDING . DR. EISENBERG AT JEFFERSON PERFORMED THE SURGERY . I HAD PAIN FOR THREE DAY'S AND MY BOWEL WAS BRUTAL, I SOAKED IN TUB AND TOOK PAIN MEDICINE TILL PAIN SUBSIDED , SECOND BOWEL MOVEMENT LESS PAINFULL . IT'S SUNDAY NOW THE 2 JULY AND VERY MINIVAL PAIN. GREAT DOCTOR, GREAT HOSPITAL. AM THANKFULL I HAD THEM REMOVED. I AM A 64 YEAR OLD MAN.