I know that all people have blood-filled sacs that cushion the passage of stool through the anal canal. I realize that when these sacs become stretched and enlarged, they are called hemorrhoids. I have a friend who developed hemorrhoids during pregnancy and one that had them after long periods in a seated position. Anyway, I do not understand what it means when someone has thrombosed hemorrhoids. Can you explain this to me, and tell me what the difference is?

Hemorrhoids generally are classified as external, which can be very painful, and internal, which can protrude and bleed. External hemorrhoids can become thrombosed, which mean develop blood clots inside. During this process, they might become very tender. Large blood clots in thrombosed hemorrhoids can produce pain with walking, sitting or passage of stool. It is not clear why healthy people suddenly develop clots in external hemorrhoids, and why do they change to thrombosed. The treatments for this kind of hemorrhoids are different from those for internal hemorrhoids. One treatment option is to allow clots in the external hemorrhoids to be slowly absorbed by the body. Needed time is over several weeks until thrombosed hemorrhoids heal. Most experts recommend that the blood clots of thrombosed hemorrhoids should be surgically removed. One procedure creates an incision over the clot, allowing the doctor to squeeze out the clot, but it can results in blood clots reforming and continuing pain.