I am 33 years old and relatively healthy. I work out and eat properly so there's not a lot of modifications I can make in that area to help with my GI issues. After 5 years of GI problems I was diagnosed with IBD (chronic colitis at this point) about a year ago. With the proper meds, I have it relatively in control with flare ups ever few months. Of course, with this problem comes hemorrhoids. My flare up this week left me with a stage 4 thrombosed hemorrhoid. I had it lanced yesterday. My question is, what are other's thoughts on having the full surgery knowing that my hemorrhoids will continue due to my flare ups. I'm also wondering if it's the hemorrhoids causing the remaining bowel issues that I have daily. My BM's still aren't normal but the meds have allowed them to be less frequent. I've heard others state that after the surgery they finally have normal BMs. I know the surgery is supposed to be painful, but at this point, I wonder if it is worth it to have it done and hopefully out of the way. Thanks in advance.

I think that you would benefit from the surgery and if you figure out a way not to strain when you have a BM, then the likelihood of the hemorrhoids coming back is minimal.

I don’t believe the colitis would be the culprit with your hemorrhoids. The pressure from straining causing the veins in the rectum to protrude; these are the hemorrhoids we speak of. Much more pressure causes them to burst open and bleed. If you have the surgery, you will eliminate these just so you keep from straining during a bowel movement in the future. Hopefully, you will find treatment for the IBD so that you will not have the cramping that leads to the straining.