I had a hemorroidectomy on May 28, 2010. I had internal and external. Level 4. I saw 3 surgeons for a post opp appointment and I knew something wasnt right. I knew they left the one major external hemorrhoid that I repeatedly pointed out before the surgery and asked that they definately get rid of that one. It is the same one I had to have lanced by my Primary Physician. Well, he left it. He lied to me and told me he got rid of everything and that it was a skin tag. I argued immediately and he dismissed me. Well, On October 28, 2010 I had to have the "skin tag" lanced because it swelled to the size of a half dollar. I am still in pain and the doctor is saying I did something to bring back the hemorroid. That he felt it was a new one, without even seeing me by the way. The image of my bum has not changed at all even with the surgery. He is a general surgeon. Did he not do his job and complete the surgery??? Please help me. The doctor wants me to pay for another hemorrhoidectomy and I am all tapped out. Why would a surgeon do this. He told me he removed everything and I would never deal with this problem again. Well I am. I have never had relief.

I feel very much the same way you do.  The doctor intially did the stapled hemorrhoid surgery, although he knew I was having an issue with a very low internal hemorrhoid that kept protruding after BM's, etc.  I went through the PPH, which was done for all the prolapse and internal hemorrhoids due to having my son (large and turned sideways and I pushed him out for almost 3 hours.)  I put off having the surgery for years, but finally couldn't take the external portion of it anymore.  I had this doctor perform the procedure which was not cheap, even with insurance. 

One month (my post-op appointment was not scheduled for at least 2 months) later, after following all protocol from the doctor, I was surprised to wake up to numerous purple hemorrhoids externally.  They were extremely painful.  I called the office immedicately and all I could see was the PA.  She was very surprised.  She gave me some cortisone cream, but said if this situation did not clear up, I'd need a full external hemorrhoidectomy. Of course, I still wanted to see the doctor, so two days later, I came back and was blown off.  The cortison had done a little to shrink the pain, but this doctor did not even examine me.  He said, all is fine.  WHAT????  I'm in pain and this is not right.  I waited a few more months and some of the hemorrhoids regressed to a manageable state, but the initial one which was giving me the trouble is what was bothering me so much.  I felt like I had something right inside my anal opening blocking me from going to the bathroom.  I was even having trouble passing gas.  I KNEW this was not normal.  At his 6 month exam, he said it was probably a polyp of blood formed from the stapling device in the other procedure.  I knew it was much further down, but he said he's go in with a sigmoidoscopy and see what the problem was.  I was told twilight procedure, one day off work.  Low and behold, I had a HUGE internal (right an entrance) hemorrhoid blocking everything.  Even after the procedure, which was a old-fashioned, extremely painful, hemorrhoidectomy, where I was put under general anesthesia and told to stay out of work AT LEAST TWO WEEKS.  Two weeks are up and I still have a large stitched remnant of this hemorrhoid (if this remant which is the size of a large grape is so large, what was the size of the hemorrhoid and how did he miss it the first time..especially when we talked about it?) 

I am 13 days out.  The pain is finally subsiding to bearable WITH pain medicine, but I have to sit on ice, take stool softeners (strong) to go to the bathroom and this remaining grape of a hemorrhoid is pounding and swelling and itching and I can't take it.  Is this normal?????  I thought I had an appointment scheduled for today, just to find out it is NEXT Monday.  Have a call into the PA now.  I am fed up with having TWO surgeries and still not having relief.  I just need reassurance that this remaining remnant will shring and go away...  I feel for the person above.  It stinks....  the pain is awful, yet embarrassing when you have to explain it to work, etc.  No one who hasn't gone through it knows how painful it can be.  PPH was a walk in the park compared to this. 

Oh honey!!! I just went through my second hemmoridectomy on August 2nd 2012. OH THANK GOD!! I found the top colon rectal surgeon in my hometown of Toledo Ohio. I noticed a major difference between this surgery compared to the first one. I am now 11 days out...DOING FANTASTIC. The area looks amazing..minimal swelling, minimal pain and everything is finally turning around. Mr. Bais is so skilled I am in shock. My suggestion to you would be to research..research...research all surgeons..and I will say in this situation...Find someone who SPECIALIZES in this sensitive area. I am on cloud nine.