I had this once - id only had 2 drinks which is a lot less than normal and my heart was racing i got so scared i went to the hospital where they did an ecg where my heart rate was 125bpm but ecg was normal they kept me there til it went below 100 they then did another ecg which was 95bpm and again normal they put it down to alcohol and then when my heart started racing a bit of anxiety kicked in and kept it going - but it had never happened before and not happened since not to any great degree anyway

Yeh it sounds like sleep apnea to me. Alc. can bring it on.

All you need is Magnesium from your local vitamins and herbal shop. I had the same problem and it works a treat you feel a lot calmer and have a stable heart rythm after taking it but do not take large doses of it. I hope this helps everybody

I have the same problem. After two beers with 7% alc by volume, I wake up 4-5 hrs later with my heart-rate at 90- 120bpm

If I have more then that.. my rate is more like 140bpm.

This seems to last for hours and I cannot sleep. One night my heart was at 100-110 for 8 hrs, then slowed down again.

Hi, I am a 41 year old female in good shape. When I drink red wine, my heart races and pounds - it scares the hell out of me!! The night before last, I ended up in the ER - with a BP of 153/93 and resting pulse of 120+!! Usual is 95/65 with pulse of 65 - they checked me for a heart attack, drew blood, etc. gave me Zanax, kept me for three hours and told me "anxiety!" and sent me home. Yesterday, I took my blood tests to a doctor that told me my thryoid is way over the limits and is certain that I have hypothyroidism, if not Hashimoto's Disease, which my sister was just diagnosed with (genetic tendency.) Nonetheless, not sure if that is why it happens, allergies to the content of wine - I do really enjoy a hearty, dry Cabernet and this is really bothersome and worrisome! I have not had a drink since the night before last - I am scared to sleep at night, fearing it will happen again! What to do? Anyone know why this happens?
Thirsty Onephile :'(

Some alcohol use i actually good for persons heart (not if you already have something wrong withyour heart) it increases HDL cholesterol levels which is a ood cholesterol that our body makes to fight off the bad cholesterol LDL that we get from unhealthy foods. reasons for rapid heartbeat affter alcohol use? there are many 1. increase in sugar levels 2. we wdo not sometimes pay attention to our breathin which is directly associated with heart rhythm. another thing is that when people consume alcohol it usualy increases our heart pace but not to a point when we start noticing itbecause(excitment, lots of talking and just alcohol use itself)the faster rhythm that your heart is not really used to sometimes makes the electrical impulse go off its pathway which over time will make it worse and worse and this doesent mean that there is something wrong with our heart its whole diffrent procedure and is not detected byt echo ekg and such, it can be fixed by a procedure when they insert a catherer in to one of your arteries go to your heart find the place where theimpulse goes of its original pathway and burn it using sound, I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS WHATS WRONG BUT IS VERY TYPICAL CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR.

Or so she says, but who knows. She also does not like nuts. What's that all about.

Like do all their charts. This will make your heart a little less heavy.

Like their charts for a month and that will make your heart a little less heavy.

I get it when I check my oil

There's a simple biological explanation for the increase in heart rate that people get after drinking alcohol.
Alcohol is a vasodilator, which means it makes the blood vessels dilate causing blood pressure to drop. In order to counteract this and supply the body with adequate blood the heart has to beat at a faster rate.

If your Heart Rate Increases after drinking Alcohol then you are most likely an alcoholic. Realize that alcoholism means that your body has acquired an alergic reaction to the alcohol. This could happen when you first start to drink or due to the withdrawal when it is leaving your system. I had these same symptoms (Rapid Heart Beat after a night of drinking) and it took me some time and self reflection to realize that I was an alcoholic. At age 29, I feel lucky that I am able to admit this. I still party, just without alcohol. Still a strucggle because I've partied my entire life, but peace of mind is priceless-believe me. How embarrassing is it to show up in the ER the night after drinking? A visit to AA may help the cause. Belive me, I would have been the last person in the world to say that a few months ago.

The dehydration and adrenaline produced by alcohol makes your heart beat harder. The booming feeling probably disappears after you drink a few pints of water. My tip is stop drinking alcohol earlier than you would normally and switch to water or non alcoholic drinks. Better still keep a couple of days totally drink free each week.

I'm a 37 year old male. I also wake up sometimes in the middle of the night with a racing heart, insomnia, and sometimes mild sweating several hours after I've stopped drinking. Recently I determined that not all liquor causes the effect. Whiskey causes the effect acutely but vodka has an unnoticeable effect (I do not wake up at all and get a sound night's sleep). The difference is pretty remarkable. I have heard before the argument that the effect is caused by alcohol being a vasodilator, but at least in my case I do not believe this is true for several reasons: 1) as described above, some liquor causes it, but others do not, 2) not everybody experiences the effect (as I would expect if it was a fundamental physiological reaction), and 3) the effect is experienced several hours after drinking (by this time the alcohol is metabolized). I think it must be a toxic byproduct of metabolism of something in some liquors that initiates adrenaline production.

I'm a 37 year old female in good health and the same thing has happened to me twice in the past few weeks. I have 3-4 drinks during a course of an evening, and then around 3 or 4 in the morning I wake up with my heart pounding, cold sweats and then insomnia. I don't get the hangover feeling. I don't know what it is. The first time it happened I thought I was slipped a drug in my drink, but now that it happened a 2nd time, I'm thinking it's something else. Anybody have any clues what this could be?