Why is my heart all of sudden starting to race after a night out of social drinking. It occurs about 5 hours after my last beer and it wakes me from a dead sleep. It is very scary. I am 35 and this just recently started to happen to me. I started socially drinking at 21 and never noticed this problem up until about 2 years ago. I have no pain, shortness of breath or heartburn when this happens, just a very hard punding racing heart rate.

Its probably dehydration due to drinking. It usually takes 5-6 hrs for dehydration to kick in.
Remidy: Drink lot of water before going to bed.

It's probably mild withdrawal. You've probably been drinking more than you admit.

Hello there cmicalef,

Well first of all it is wise to drink water before you go to bed because it will ease your symptoms of the hangover in the morning for sure. Also I drink from time to time and when I go to bed if I haven’t been overreacting I sleep until the morning but when I exaggerate I wake up in the middle of the night and I must drink water. Increased heart rate and sweating are signs of withdrawal but it could also be a consequence of a nightmare because this is happening often when we are drinking alcohol.

Try to avoid alcohol some time just see if you will experience the same symptoms. Good luck.

dear micalef what you have is a condition known as pvc or Premature ventricular contraction and is due to a lack of potassium and magnessium , ussually when you drin alcohol your potassium levels drop even more than usual causing the pvc.