Hi, I am 47 years old woman, and I often have fast heart rate after waking up. It is very unpleasant feeling, and it always startes so sudden! Do you know what could be the cause pf this condition?

Hi, I have the same problem, and I’m only a few years older than you. I asked my doctor about this fast heart rate after waking up, and he said that it might be connected to my menopause. He asked me if I smoke, drink alcohol, exercise or take any medications, but I don’t do any of those things. If I did, it could explain fast heart rate after waking up. He also told me to keep a record of how often it happens to me, and to pay attention if it’s connected to some things that I’m doing before going to bed. I think you should have EKG just in case that the problem is connected to your heart. I know some people who started yoga and managed to reduce similar problems. Yoga will teach you to relax and breathe properly.

This happens to me also, it may me Sleep Apnea. Your heart is not getting oxygen while your sleep (Apnea), so it beats fast. You may need to get a sleep study.

Hi, I am a also 46 y/o female. I am relatively fit, probably not as much as I should be. I have been going through periods of waking in the early morning 3am-4am, and when I go to turn over or move or just even lying there my heart rate goes up. I'm not sure how high, but I get a sense of dread. My mind is all scrambled when I try and think about something to calm myself down. It lasts between 5-20 mins but then I am either very tired or I stay awake. It has been happening for about 9 months on and off. I work 3 days a week, I also have 3 teenagers and am the carer of my 83 y/o mother who has dementia, but she doesn't live with us. I have had a echocardgram which was all normal, but that was before I started waking at night. I don't know if it is a panic attack, it feels like it. Sometimes when I feel extra tired, and get up from sitting, I can feel my heart rate go up also. I have been diagnosed with anxiety about 1 year ago, but I am worried that the sudden rise in my blood pressure will be bad. I sometimes feel my head pressuring up (which isn't uncommon for me). How can I help myself overcome this? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.