"If you keep on saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of becoming a prophet." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
A waking suggestion is similar to the suggestions that people are given under hypnosis, except that you aren’t hypnotized. We are subjected to waking suggestions whenever we hear advertisements on the radio or TV. If waking suggestions didn’t work, there would be no advertisers!
Placebos are another form of waking suggestion. Given the suggestion that a particular drug will work, such as a drug for depression, research has proven beyond any doubt that placebos work just as well as drugs.
We often give ourselves waking suggestions and, depending on the suggestion, they can create positive or negative outcomes. The Law of Attraction is based on waking suggestions.
The reason waking suggestions work is that, whatever the subconscious believes, that is often what manifests. That’s why Singer states that "If you keep on saying things are going to be bad, you have a good chance of becoming a prophet."
Given that this is true, it’s important to become aware of your own negative waking suggestions to yourself – the negative self-talk that comes from your wounded self.
What are some of the things you tell yourself that are keeping you limited?
- I will never be able to do this.
- I will always be alone.
- I will never find the love of my life.
- I will always be stuck in a job I hate.
- I will always be a loser.
- I will never measure up.
- I will never be able to lose weight.
- I will never be able to heal.
- I’m permanently emotionally damaged.
- I have no value.
- I will always make a fool of myself.
- I will never be good enough.
- I will never be happy.
- I will never be physically healthy.
- Nothing I do will ever work for me.
- I’m unlucky.
- I will always be depressed.
- I will always be anxious.
- I will never be able to hear the voice of my Guidance.
- This is going to be an awful day.
- I’m trapped forever.
- I will never have financial freedom.
- I will always be poor.
- I can never give up my addictions.
- Life will always pass me by.
- I’m not one of the chosen ones.
- There is nothing I can do to feel better.
- I’m a misfit.
- I’m too weird to ever feel like I belong anywhere.
- ______________________(think up your own)
This is just a partial list of some of the things I frequently hear from my clients. When I hear them, I also hear that the person firmly believes these things. It is usually this firm belief that is creating their stuck-ness and misery.
Start listening to yourself. The moment you hear a negative waking suggestion, open to learning with your Guidance and ask if it is true, or if it is a programmed false belief from your wounded self.
I used to believe that I could never hear the voice of my Guidance – I just didn’t have the talent or ability to do this. Others could do it, but not me. Of course, as long as I believed this, I couldn’t. But then, as I wrote about in “Do I Have To Give Up Me To Be Loved By God?” Erika showed me how. I’ve been able to hear my Guidance, and other people’s Guidance, ever since! My wounded self didn’t know what she was talking about at all, but as long as I believed her, I was stuck.
What do you keep telling yourself that is limiting you? What do you believe, that others or the media tell you, that limits you or scares you? Start to notice and you will be amazed at the power of waking suggestion.