it has been three days, my sister feels pain in her food pipe when she swallows her food. the pain is severe .Due to it she can't even eat a chapatti. what could be the reason behind this. She has some problem in her umbilical swab since last year and she was taking medicines to cure it after referring from the doctor. was it a side effect of the medicine .

I am not sure that the problem could be related to the umbilical swab as it sounds more concentrated in her "food pipe." Has your sister gone in for a throat swab? There could be an infection that is causing some swelling and subsequent pain with trouble swallowing. As with any condition, if there is prolonged pain, she should see her family doctor right away.

My son developed this problem when he hit 32 years old. Each time he tried to eat the food seemed to lodge itself in his throat. He would make himself vomit to eliminate the uncomfortable feeling. This happened one day again while he was at work, it was during his lunch break. He drove himself to the Emergency Room. He had a throat scan and the doctor decided to do a procedure on his esophagus.
It was an out patient procedure under a general anesthetic which took all of 20 minutes. They actually stretch the esophagus which helps food pass thru easily with out getting stuck. He may have to have this procedure done every 3 or 4 years.

Tell your sister to eat slowly and not to try to pack in the food, my son thought he was going to suffocate on the way to the ER.
He loves food and eats like it's his last meal, but any more. It takes him much longer to eat his meals and he finds that things actually taste better as he is not inhaling them anymore.