2 years ago I fell down and the result was a lisfranc fracture of my left foot: dislocation of the 2nd and 3rd metatarsals along with ligament tear. The fall occurred on 3/15/07 and after my initial ER treatment, went to an orthopedic surgeon who diagnosed a week later and subsequently operated on 3/31/07. 2 screws and a pin were inserted. I was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and put in a cam walker for another 6 weeks. The screws and pin were bothersome and painful so I had them removed on 9/30/07. Due to the constant pain I went to a podiatrist who operated again on 3/31/08 trying to alleviate the pain. I recently had my 4th surgery on 12/30/08 to cut the nerve in my foot due to hypersensitivity on and surrounding the scar. It didn't work. I have an appointment with a new orthopedic surgeon in April 2009. I keep trying to stay positive as I pray and hope that there is a doctor out there who will care and try to help me with the pain.

The doctors and their nurses treat me as if I'm making it up, as if I'm lying about the pain because maybe I'm trying to score pain meds from them. I so want to tell them where to shove it as the pain meds only work for so long till my body becomes a immune to the hydrocodone and it's just like taking advil only I get constipated. Or that I enjoy using my vacation/sick days and wasting my gas to drive to their office and wait in their waiting rooms, pay their co-pays and whatever else my insurance won't cover.

As I write this, tears are falling down my face. My quality of life is horrible. I read everyone else's posts and I cry even more. Not just for myself for you all as well. For you all that have families to take care of or that have jobs that require you to be on your feet, you deserve an award. You all are much stronger than me and I commend you and wish I had that in me. I am to the point where I want to give up. I'm in my mid-30s and I just don't want and can't live my life in daily pain. Every decision revolves around how much walking I will have to do... if it requires too much, I can't do it. Well I can, but I know that the pain level will be 10 instead of the constant 7 it has been at since my first surgery.

I'm on my 2nd round of physical therapy, I alternate heat and cold daily and I keep it elevated as much as possible. I've given up on wearing tennis shoes, crocs or basically anything that covers the top of my foot as the pain is out of control having my foot inside of anything that compresses it. The only way I can bring the pain level down below is a 5 is to wear a sock, along with 3 of the fuzzy house socks (we ladies like to wear) and my cam walker.

Can any of you suggest anything for me to try to help with the pain? I'm willing to try anything...

Try electrotherapy using a TENS unit. A portable TENS unit can be purchased online for as little as $40.

I have tried the TENS unit, my insurance covered it but it didn't give any relief. Currently in therapy, we are concentrating on isometric exercises, alternate hot/cold therapy and the newest therapy: iontophoresis. This is wikipedia's definition: Iontophoresis is a non-invasive method of propelling high concentrations of a charged substance, normally medication or bioactive agents, transdermally by repulsive electromotive force using a small electrical charge applied to an iontophoretic chamber containing a similarly charged active agent and its vehicle. To clarify, one or two chambers are filled with a solution containing an active ingredient and its solvent, termed the vehicle. The positively charged chamber, termed the anode will repel a positively charged chemical, while the negatively charged chamber, termed the cathode, will repel a negatively charged chemical into the skin. This doesn’t' hurt, more like getting a tiny little shock in my foot every 5 seconds for 15 minutes... it's more annoying than anything and so far has not given any pain relief.

Any other suggestions? Remember, I'm willing to try anything.

Dr. Deland HSS
He is your salvation!

Where is Dr. Deland located? What does the HSS mean?

I too had a lisfranc injury in "06...surgery then the 4 screws taken out, but still pain when walking. I then had an injection in the joint with a radiologist which I think just took out the pain pathway for awhile...bottom line, the next step for me was a bone fusion, which I just couldn't do. I am happy to say that I have ran 2 marathons (26.2 miles)...do I still have pain?? Yep..but not going back under the knife. Try the steriod injection...it was a God sent to me. Good luck...I totally get it!

:-( I am sorry that you are in so much pain. i too suffered a Lisfranc fracture and I am 3 years out. It has been a struggle. The pain gets much worse in bad weather and I can only wear Dansko shoes. They do not bend and sort of act like a fusion as the mid foot does not move. I am in pain and often resort to Neurontin and ibuprofin and Buspar. it is a cocktail of sorts with all in low dose. it does take off the edge. May want to give it a go. Neurontin 100- 300 mg 3X/day . Buspar 10mg 2X/day
Mortin 600mg/2x/day. Hope this helps Looking for microsurgery some day. May try prolotherapy.

go see Dr Randy Clements in Roanoke Virginia at the Carilion Clinic  i am a state tropper who was out of work for three years until he diagnosied me with a ligament tear and fused my lisfrank fracture  i have had no pain since and am bck to work