Hi, I'm 23 years old and two days ago I started having the common symptoms of cold. I got a severe headache, slight fever and a runny nose. I have a very demanding job and I can't afford to be out of work for more than a few days. Recently I have heard on the TV about this nasal spray Zicam and they said that it can shorten the period of common cold reducing the time needed to recover to 1/3 of the normal recovery period. Did anyone have experiences with Zicam, are there any side effects that I should be aware of?

Yes marketing campaign for the Zicam has been very convincing and most of their claims are correct in essence. Zicam will probably reduce the duration of a cold to 1/3 of the normal time needed but what they forgot to say is that Zicam also has some serious side effects. One of the most serious ones is the possible damage to the senses of smell and taste that has been reported with many people across the United States. Because of that many former users of Zicam have filed suits against Matrixx, corporation which produces Zicam. The side effects of using it include partial or total loss of taste and smell due to the use of the main ingredient found in Zicam, zinc gluconate which causes damage to nerve endings of internal lining of the nose and has possible damaging effects on the neural pathways in the brain that are altering the common taste and smell sensations. I wouldn’t recommend you to use Zicam until this issue with lawsuits is resolved. If I were you I’d stick to the good old vitamin C and lots of fluids.