I had my top two wisdom teeth surgically removed almost 2 weeks ago. He had a hard time with one side and said it was right in my sinus area. He told me not to blow my nose at all for two weeks, to make sure I don't damage them. I have been very careful and have also taken sinus medicine like he said to.

I had to go in 6 days later, because one side still hurt really bad. He irrigated it and put some more medicine in there. He said it sounded like the beggining signs of dry socket, but hoped this would help. I have since noticed, especially in the last 4-5 days that it has been healing. (It does still hurt on that side though).

More importantly, I have noticed in the last 2-3 days an increase in the amound of mucus my nose is producing. I can't blow it out (because of what the doctor said) and if I try to sniff it in at all it hurts reeeally bad, so I don't do that either. What is really bothering me is the smell and taste of it. It is a yukey sweet smell and taste.

I don't have insurance, so I really don't want to go to the doctor unless there is really something they can do.

Any ideas of what is going on here? Is it a sinus infection maybe?

i had this same problem. mine turned out to be a small abses in one of the gums. i produced a foul taste especially when i ate. i had to get the gum cut so the puss could escape. after this... problem solved.

I have the same exact situation as lorielaine posted, my top 2 wisdom teeth were removd and I have the bad smell and taste, I have been taking antibiotics and decongestants but they havent helped. What should i do?

Have the exact same problem right now. I just got off the phone with my dentist and he thinks it is an exposed sinus from pulling my wisdom tooth last week. He prescribed some antibiotics and said the only thing to do is try not to blow my nose and let it heal on its own. Hope that helps.

I know a lot of cases who had this situation after wisdom tooth extraction. Here is what I think that you are dealing with - it is totally possible that an infection has entered your sinuses through the wisdom teeth wounds. Also, you should know that this is not that common, but it is not something that you should freak about at all as well. Anyway, my husband had this situation and according to his experience, this should go away in a few weeks. Also, I suggest you visit your doctor because he will prescribe an antibiotic that will clear up the remaining infection in your tooth-holes. But it won't clean your sinuses as well. 

I just recently had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled. About two days later I developed bad breath and a horrible tast in my mouth. Some times I do cough up a terrible mucus taste.(dark brown some times black and at times bloody) But that does not always happen. It can develop the taste/smell with out the mucus. What is this and should I be worried? Also,I am a smoker.

i had all four teeth pulled too and i have bad breath but its because of the antibiotics. every time i take them for something i get this really weird smelling breath... usually my pee reeks of it too while im on em.

i just had all 4 removed 3 days ago but my problem seems to be 1.) puss coming from the lower-right extraction site 2.) a pain so bad i am thinking there may have been some damage to the lingual nerve (which runs along your cheek bone) 3.) i was given oxycontin but my mom wont let me have any because she thinks i am faking it. if some one has an answer to stop the horrible tasting puss and the excrutiating pain let me know

It may be an infection but to relieve the sinus pressure and congestion without blowing your nose you might consider steam treatment along with your medication. Just simply boil a pot of water until it boils creating steam wait for it to cool a little then take it off the stove and put a towel over it (to catch the steam and put your head above the (slightly cooled!)pot and breath in the steam. But not too quick.

around 3 weeks ago i had 1 wisdom tooth and one close to the wisdom teeth removed, maybe it was a molar... anyway, it was connected to my sinus b/c apparently liquid is coming through the hole and into my nasal cavity. in the hole that should have healed close, there is this dark reddish "tumor" looking thing that has "grown" out of the hole, and its like a bag of some sort, i can push it up and smush on it with my tounge. the problem here is recently within the past couple days, especially after i ate chinese food, 2 days ago, i have this extreemly awful tasting mucus of some sort apparently draining from the hole where that tumor thing is, but i can smell it inside my nose too. this is the worst thing ever, it tastes like the smell of rotten dairy products, like rotten cheese or something. i take it this mucus is pus of some sort. it doesnt feel infected, because there is no pain @ all, its not bothersome like that just annoying and disgusting. i read up about the guy getting his gum cut so it could drain, so i poked the sack thing with the tip of a floss-pic and a thumb tack, and blood came out, but its hard to tell if it was puss b/c of it mixing with the saliva, thinned it out and made it a yellowish tint. the "drains" of mucus arent as frequent now but there still seems to be some there. i did this about an hour ago. is this normal? is that the blod clot that i poked? doesnt seem like it is normal, ive never seen a tumor like thing growing out of any holes from previous extractions. im hoping it will just drain all night, ill clear my mouth out in the morning, and tomorrow it will start healing correctly. the taste/smell is extreemly funky and disgusting and ive been avoiding my girlfreind because of it, its only been 2 days but i cant have this much longer, i wish it would go away ... any help?

I had 2 wisdom teeth extracted about 15 days ago....both right side th top and bottom wisdom teeth were removed. the lower one was surgically removed where as the upper one was pulled out easily....the lower one healed very well and stitches were removed in week. The upper one however started causing a lot of pain around the cheek bone area and let a bad taste and smell in the mouth. Also when i gargle, little water from my mouth started comin out from my right nostril....
My sinus was connected to my mouth and therefore got quite badly infected...in cases where the connected is more than 3mm, it is recomended to get it sugically cosed and mine was a 5mm hole.
So i got a second surgery done 2 days ago where the gap was closed using a membrane and gum tissue around the upper wisdom tooth. Also i am on heavy anti biotics to kill the infection in my sinus....i consulted 3 different oral surgeons and after gettin the same advice from all, i went ahead n got the connection between my mouth and sinus surgically closed. Now i will be on antibiotics for a week and hopefully that kills the infection. The only thing i find funny is....the tooth that came out easily in comparison to the lower tooth, was the one that caused more problems. Hopefully this info helps.

I had five wisdom teeth taken out three or four years ago. Painful experience. Out for weeks before I could go back into work. All of them were bad and impacted.

Five days ago, I had a molar extracted because it had no support and broke. It didn't hurt while it was in there, but I went to the dentist and he suggested I get it out while I wasn't in any pain. I was in pain for three days and the first two days I took medicine he prescribed. Then I had over the counter Tylenol. Worked good. Now I've got this sweet, bad odor in my mouth. The stitches are self absorbing and there are no holes. I don't know why there's that sweet, bad odor from my mouth. It embarrasses me because I think others know my breath stinks.

hmm, I seem to be having the same thing happen to me. the mucus appears to be a red/brownish color for me. The only thing I can think of is either foor is getting caught in the holes, or bacteria XP

I had my four wisdom teeth surgically removed 5 days ago, and while I do have a fairly constant dull pain it's a bearable pain so I don't think I have a dry socket. My main problems are a constant bad taste in my mouth no matter how many times I brush and my gum's still feel swollen and inflamed. I've been doing salt water rinses and i've stopped using the ice packs. My left cheek is bruised and is still swollen, though the swelling has gone down some. I lost a stitch within two hours of my surgery and i'm worried that this is what's causing the bad taste because that spot is now a darker red than the other sites. Any thoughts?

Everyone who is having the horrible smell, taste experience I have good news for you. With me, I figured it out myself. The holes on your bottom jaw, if you had your bottoms pulled, well, they don't stitch them up 100%. Then when you eat, some food goes into the holes. You brush your teeth, the food stays. You eat again, brush eat brush eat, by this time the food has started to rot in those spaces in your face. You can get it out.
Go to the drugstore and ask for a syringe,tell them why you need it.
Fill the syringe with warm water, put 2 fingers in your mouth, trying to stretch your cheek out so you can see the hole and continuously shoot the water from the syringe into the hole and the food will come out. Keep doing it over and over. If it works for you, make sure to do it every time after you eat.
And you will be rid of your horrible taste and smell.