Hello. I'm 36 year old male and I would like to find out more about possible causes of my problem. You see, about three weeks ago I started to suffer from some really strange symptoms.
The first symptom was fingertips numbness which frightened me the most because I have never experienced anything similar to this.
Almost in a same time, I have also started to suffer from flaky, peeling skin on my hands.
I don’t know is there any connection between these to things but, like I said, I have never seen anything similar and that’s why I would like to hear more about this.
Any ideas?

Hello. I have just read your post and it has made me thinking about it.
Skin peeling could be caused by several things such as ski dryness, some fungal infection or peeling skin syndrome.
Peeling skin syndrome is an extremely rare inherited disorder characterized by continual, spontaneous skin peeling (exfoliation). Other findings may include reddening of the skin (erythema) and itching (pruritus). Talk with your dermatologist about this. I was also searching for possible causes of fingertips numbness and found out that problem could be in the local nerves of the hand and the nerve that is responsible for supplying this area of the hand. The nerve is called the median nerve and the most common condition affecting the median nerve is carpal tunnel syndrome. Contact your GP for further evaluation!

I have been struggling with this same condition (peeling thumbs and pointer fingers) for years. It's now constant all year round. It can be so painful.

I have aunts that suffer from the same thing. My grandmother suffered from it. So it's definitely got to be genetic. That I'm sure of.

It at least makes me feel better to know that there are others out there suffering from EXACTLY the same symtons. It's got to be a common affliction with a common cause ... most likely genetic.

Please, please if anyone has a solution please help.

Wow! I'm having trouble with the same thing! However, I am 30 weeks pregnant and I was sure it must have something to do with that. From what I've read the most likely cause is carpal tunnel syndrome. Usually the numbness is in the thumbs and first 2 fingers and that is also where I am having the peeling. The top of my hands and wrist area ache on and off as well. It could be that the blood supply is decreased and that's why the numbness and peeling. I'm just glad I'm not alone. I'm going to mention it to my doctor at the next visit, I'll keep you posted.

I am 36 too and developed flaky skin on my left fore finger on the side near the thubm. It started off as dry skin, then peeling skin and the a bleeding crack appeared. I worsened the problem by peeling the skin which caused more bleeding. No amout of cream or wetness would solve the issue.

The skin would become very hard and break off - clearly the outer layer was dead and scraping a razor on it scrapes off white dead skin - like scraping chalk.

**** I began having the area covered permanently in band-aid to prevent me from peeling it. I would change the band-aid every 2-3 days after it begins to stink. I did this for 2 months. ***

The condition has lessened in severity after 4 months now but it has begun spreading to other fingers. I now have it on my left thumb anf right middle finger sides - its always to one the side and base of the nail.

They are no longer hard and are soft to touch, but still bleeds if I peel it off( which I have begun avoiding ). Instead of peeling with my fingers, I would scrape off any torn skin ends with a razor and remove much of the dead skin carefully without breaking the surface.

Also I smashed the finger in which this problem originated, in an accident. I was so relieved that the wound healed quickly - in about 2 weeks. The constant bleeding made me think I might have some sort of blood desease . I hope that is not the case...

Dear netlook -
Have you seen a dermatologist? And, do you have any numbness in the areas that are affected? I have the same problem. In 2 places on my right ring finger, on my fingertip on my left ring finger, and I can feel it starting on the pad of my left index finger.

It starts as a small patch of dry skin, but there is numbness in each of the areas. The skin peels and cracks, and hurts terribly, and no cream is helping. I can't figure out what it could be.

MY HANDS ARE NUMB WHAEN I WAKE UP OR IN SCHOOL THEY GET NUMB AND SWEATY AND SHAKY THEY ALSO PEAL PLZ TELL ME SOME INFO : :'( :-(

I have exactly the same problem described in the February 14 post. I am 61 and have had no skin problems until this began one year ago. I am at my wits end regarding the different techniques suggested for solving the problem. What I want to know is what causes it! My doctor tried treating it as a fungus infection, but it has not improved with internal and external medication. What in the hell is wrong with me. If I can keep some kind of cream on the ends the flaking appears to be better and they appear to be softer, but as soon as the cream is washed off or worn off from work, the fingers dry out immediately and all the flakes reappear. Maybe it's germ warfare from one of the 500 countries that we have alienated, but I'm putting out this last appeal to someone knowing the the physiological cause. It is not related to cold weather.

I've had the same problem for 20 years and I'm 36. It always starts the same way. And it happens once a month or maybe a little longer. My skin on my thumbs gets hard and thick and then 1 or 2 small white "blisters" form. They are not really blisters because there is nothing inside of them. When they pop (or I pop them) the peeling starts. It happens on all of my fingers, but the thumbs and pointer fingers are the worst. I have tried everything over the counter and have seen 2 doctors. And frankly, I just gave up worrying about it several years ago. I think it must be diet or a vitiman deficency. Let me know if you all find out the cure!

Im suffering from the same thing. My finger tip becomes numb and hard not soft and sensitive like my other fingers. then once and while my skin around my nail breaks and peels away. Im scared. What is it???

I have the same problem except I dont notice my fingers being numb. About 5 months ago they started becomming dry and peeling. Ive always bit my finger nails and that made it worse. My fingernails are so thin and the skin on my thumbs and pointer fingers are just terrible. Its on no other finger now... but was on my ring and middle finger.

The only thing I notice Ive been doing different Is that I just got on a depo shot which decreases your calcium in your body so I have to drink 2x as much milk as normal. I think this has something to do with it.

Is anyone else not getting enough vitiamins?

**edited by moderator**

47 year old femane - for about 20 years I've get the hard thickened skin on fingers (mainly thumb & pointer & middle fingers) and the bottoms of my feet, particularly heels. Stress, water, cleaning products and salt water affect my skin. To avoid cleaners, I wear expensive flock lined rubber gloves but my hands still sweat in them and bubble & peel anyways. I've tried every cream including udder balm and medications with cortisone which seldom do any good. I have found a product that does help - "Allpresan" made in Germany and is a cream foam. In Canada I am able to purchase through some beauty salons or hair/beauty product suppliers. This product has 10% Urea which is the active working ingredient. No surpise that it's recommended for diabetics. This product is a solution but the condition is reoccurring which is the problem. I've done cleanses, altered my diet, you name it - frustrated and embarrassed and want to find the root cause of this anoying and ugly condition! Been to doctors - they say it's eczema - but it's not! I highly recommend Alpresan but still looking for the root cause. Anyone have any further answers or suggestions?

I have developed the same thing... Unexplained swelling of the fingers, followed by lightly peeling skin (it's not really painful, just annoying). Now I've also started to get pain in the tip of my pointer finger. I have solar dermatitis and thought that it may be because of this, but I haven't experienced the slight peeling and nerve pain before. What do people do to deal? This is a really terrible thing to have to deal with.

i am 20 and the exact same thing started happening to me about a month ago...little white blisters but nothing in them, in the same spot on both my thumbs. then it began to spread to each finger in turn. now my fingertips have the pads pretty much all peeled off, making it difficult to feel anything, i also get a weird numbness occasionally. since my fingertips keep peeling i can't keep a grip on things as well either. (water bottles seem to slide right out if i just hold them with finger tips. )

If they are itchy it may be something called pompholyx(sp?)