Hi! Recently, I noticed black lines in fingernails. What caused black lines in fingernails? Do you know something about that? I am worried. Thanks!

Hi! Splinter haemorrhages are tiny lines that run vertically under the nail. At first they are usually plum coloured, but then darken to brown or black in a couple of days.
Cause of splinter haemorrhages is not always known. It is thought they may be due to a blood clot, or particles of fat that are carried in the blood and which become stuck in the nail bed. They can also appear because of injury to the nail, especially in manual workers, or as a result of an illness (such as arthritis or heart disease). I hope that you are satisfied with information.

I don't have the splinters but the nail itself is forming parallel almost dark grey to black. It was originally thought to be fungus or something and so I took Lamsil for 3 months. now a year later when the nail should be grown out, they have stopped growing and are a dark grey/blue grey black. It is also starting to go to other nails. I have looked for pictures on the internet but haven't found anything similar...ideas?

i m from india. i hav similar prob. i hav splinter black lines in my fingernails. wot should i do. doctor consulted me to take vitamin tablets but it didnt help.

I have similar problems with my nails also. I have really thin black lines that run from the front of the nail to the middle of the nail. It is in every nail except my toes. What are the causes for this ? And should I be alarmed and go see my doctor?

Melanonychia may be seen as a black band under or within the nail plate, extending from te nail fold to the free edge. In some cases it may affect the entire nail plate. THis condition is caused by a localized area of increased melanocytes (pigment cells). This condition is present in all dark-skinned races. Nearly 100 percent of afro-americans over the age of 50 exhibit this condition. There is nothing to worry about.

I have a similar problem my left index has 4 light lines and my right middle has one really dark gray line. ive been reading articals on line and all that i have see was that is might be Subungual Melanoma. i am very scared. i am going to call the doc on monday and ell see from there. :?

I have the same problem but Im not worried now coz Im fit, what will be in the future so I am interested to figure out if it is a disease or normal. The line in my thumb nail right hand is not inborn I just noticed that i have this 2 years ago but I ignore until I read an article about melanoma which is a serious skin disease. Some of my friends notice that its like I draw a line on my nail just for fun I mean it looks natural.

Any help??

Thanks you

Hi I have had black vertical lines running through my fingernails for the longest time they not inbedded but like a naturla color for example the the white part of french nails I have that too and my nails look horrible when they show up. My black lines have been coming and going and on different fingers for all my life %-) I did not think that they were fungus becasue my Black lines would appear and leave some time with in a day and I did not do any thing to get rid of them. It just they are an ugly site is there a Cure ? and I would like to know Clearly what causes them?

I too have short thin black lines from the top of my nail to about mid point. I recently just knoticed them after having acrylic nails put on and now I'm concerned because if it is some sort of fungus I don't want it to fester underneath the artificial nail.
Any input?

I had a single thin reddish/brownish line that was under my thumbnail in 2004 or 2005 but it kept on appearing and disappearing with cutting of nail. But since last one or two years, I am noticing that this line has become permanent and also increasing in length. Other than that, there are two more lines now visible next to it. So now there are three lines and I am worried as more might become visible (I have noticed some more extremely small dot like formations that I am sure will grow). Not only this, a few days ago I also saw a dot sized reddish/brownish appearance under the nails of my right index and little finger which disppeared in few days.

I am extremely worried. What's the cure?

Vertical nail ridges, which extend from your cuticle to the tip of your nail are fairly common and often become more numerous as you age. Vertical ridges in your nails are NOT a health concern. Although the exact cause of such ridging isn't known, heredity may play a role.If your fingernails change color or develop horizontal(side to side) not vertical(up and down) ridges, see your doctor. These changes may indicate underlying health problems, such as respiratory or heart disease.~Mayo Clinic

Brittle nails signify possible iron deficiency and thyroid problems, impaired kidney function, and circulation problems.

Yellow nails can indicate internal disorders long before other symptoms appear. Some of these are problems with the lymphatic system, respiratory disorders, diabetes, and liver disorders.

Nails that chip, peel, crack, or break easily show a nutritional deficiency and insufficient hydrochloric acid and protein. Minerals are also needed.

Brittle, soft, shiny nails without a moon may indicate an overactive thyroid.

White lines across the nail may indicate a liver disease.

White lines horizontally show possible heart disease, high fever, or arsenic poisoning.

Nails separated from the nail bed may signify a thyroid disorder.

Nails raised at the base ("clubbing") with small white ends show a respiratory disorder such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis. ("Clubbing" with lung disorders is one condition of the nails that is recognized by Standard Medicine.)

Ridges can signify a possible infection such as the flu.

Downward curved nail ends may denote heart, liver, or respiratory problems.

Ridges running up and down the nails indicate a tendency to develop arthritis.

Lack of vitamin A and calcium causes dryness and brittleness.

Vitamin B deficiency causes fragility, with horizontal and vertical ridges.

Insufficient intake of vitamin B12 leads to excessive dryness, very rounded and curved nail ends, and darkened nails.

White bands can indicate protein deficiency.

I also sometimes get Dark vertical lines under my thumbnails. It only happens when I drink too much. My best guess is some sort of Liver dysfunction. I say this because mt skin gets red and extremely itchy when I drink as well, and we all know that Liver dysfunction affects skin. I was tested more than once for liver abnormalities; but the tests found nothing... which says nothing because standard liver tests only look for common diseases. Doctors call my skin condition Atopic Dermatitis - which is doctor talk for "we have no f-ing clue". If you have a ton of money or superb health care perhaps you can find out what causes the lines. Good luck.

I've read that the black lines could be thyroid related.

My husband has a black splinter line on his middle finger. He went to a Dermo. and he told him it's a mole and could be cancer. He went to a hand surgeon, he wants to remove the nail and nail base, then send it off to see if it’s cancer or not. If it is cancer he will have to have first digit of his finger removed. But everything I read here sure doesn’t seem like cancer. I don’t want him to undergo a procedure he doesn’t need. What do you think? ?