Me and my boyfriend have been together for a while and want to take things to the next level...we are thirteen and i have not started my period yet and we would use a condom but I'm not on birth control so could i still get pregnant

Health Guru
My advice to you is to wait as at 13 your still way to young to be thinking about sex!
There are plenty of other ways you can show your love for one another.

Hi

To answer if you can get pregnant when your periods have not yet started, yes you can, so how is this possible, because as most people know when a girl starts her period this is a sign she is now able to have children and assume before this happens no pregnancy can take place.  Without going through detailed sex education in this reply I'll try and keep it simple.  Most women have a 28 day cycle day one is marked by when their period starts.  Around halfway through the month she releases an egg (ovulates) this is the time she is most likely to become pregnant.  At around day 28 if the egg has not been fertilized the woman will shed the lining of her womb along with the now useless egg and this begins day one of the cycle again with the first day of this period.  Ok so now I've explained what happens if you dont yet have periods , but your first one would be due to start lets say July 28th, on July 15th your body would be releasing it's first egg. You would be blissfully unaware any of this was going on.  Lets assume you have sex somewhere in the middle of July 'unprotected' I realize you have asked the question regarding if contraception was used I am merely explaining how pregnancy can happen without yet menstruating) So sex takes place sometime mid July, unprotected.  No idea that your period should be about to start at the end of the month you carry on thinking nothing of it, a couple of moths pass and you may not notice anything, by the time you do it's usually too late to consider other alternatives as pregnancy is quite a way along, and it has been known for this to happen to some teenagers who sometime in March/April the following year get really bad stomach pains pop to the toilet and are in total shock when a baby pops out - seriously this has happened.

So back to your question yes pregnancy can happen when you have not yet started your period, so  if you are considering having intercourse you need to take the same precautions as any other female.  In addition precautions are not just there to stop unwanted baby's they are there to prevent sexually transmitted infections, so it's something you need to be doing for both reasons.  As blankcanvas has advised there is a lot you can be doing where you will both be able to show your affections for each other and satisfy any urges you may have without having full sexual intercourse.  It seems like, and I can remember how I felt at 12 about sex, it seems like this awesome thing you simply must try because everyones saying how good it feels.  The problem with TV, friends and hype in general even school sex ed is they tell you about the mechanics ie what goes where, they tell you it feels good, but no one ever mentions foreplay (or rarely touch on it) and how satisfying this can be, sometimes far more so than sexual intercourse.  At 12 boyfriends and girlfriends can change quite quickly.  A person who seems like your everything one day, a few weeks or month on can seem like the biggest id**t you ever met, and you can wish you had held off full sex for someone better.  Just give it some thought and look into what else you could be doing, spend time getting to know each others body's (If you are sexual active) and what you both enjoy instead of going for intercourse.  If you are certain this is what you want to do be careful and take all the precautions you need to avoid unwanted pregnancy and sti's

I hope this helps

Using a condom is a great idea but it is still possible to have mishaps and fall pregnant. That said, even of on the pill you should use a condom as protection against infections. Also, think about slowing down a little. Most girls who have sex young regret it. There are lots of other ways to express love and affection. About not having had a period yet, it could start at any time so you can't be sure that you are not fertile. Take care and stay safe.