What causes anal fissures? I think that I’ve developed anal fissure, because have noticed bleeding when defecate and felt that had a lump. I’m 61 years old, male. I smoke and have to say that don’t eat cereals and such foods that are recommended as healthy for intestine. In fact, I’m not that sure that this is anal fissure, that’s just what was on my mind as the first. How can fissures be diagnosed? What should I do to treat it before get the proper medications?

I was diagnosed anal fissure not long ago. You should visit your physician and he’ll make rectal exam with anoscope, which is medical tool used in such diagnosis. Persistent constipations are sometimes causing of anal fissure, also Crohn’s disease, use of laxatives or even leukaemia, but I guess that in that case fissure is not the only symptom. Warm baths and stool softeners are helpful and changing nutritional habits in your case-eating more fibres. Anal fissures are commonly healed within 4-6 weeks of treatment, if the cause was constipation. I was using fybogel at the beginning of the therapy. I got the diet which contains wholegrain cereals every morning, fruit, vegetables and brown rice. There are some medications like ointments used in the treatment, but visit your physician anyway.