I have been experiencing excruciating pain and occasional bleeding while defecating, so I visited my doctor. He diagnosed the existence of anal fissures and prescribed therapy - vaso-dilator paste and suppositories (my problem was most likely caused by permanent constipation). Are anal fissures a life long problem? The doctor mentioned possible reoccurring even after successful treatment.

Anal fissures are characterised by pain, bleeding or anal lump and are usually caused by injury to the anus. These injuries occur due to constipated stool, childbirth, haemorrhoids or very severe diarrhoea. Anal fissures are, therefore, caused mechanically, so they have nothing to do with cancer (as commonly believed). About 50% of all anal fissures can heal without treatment - spontaneously. Those deeper are successfully treated with vaso-dilator paste or steroid ointment. However, in some cases surgery is necessary and it is called lateral internal anal sphincterotomy. The fissure itself is not removed during the surgery, but it is enabled to heal afterwards. Unfortunately, anal fissures can turn into a life long problem and this is usually due to constipation. You will have to follow your doctor’s instructions concerning your diet after the healing of your fissures. This usually means drinking plenty of water and eating fibre - rich food. If this is not enough, stool - bulking medicaments can be prescribed (Mucilax is one of them).