Hello, my 10 years old son is complaining on pain in his ear and difficulty hearing. He speaks louder and keeps turning up TV. I remember when I was a kid, the same symptoms were troubling me, and it turned out that I had a fluid in my middle ear. Could it be the same problem with my son?

First, you mustn’t guess with something like this, you have to take the child to a doctor. It could be something much more serious than fluid in ear, and you wouldn’t even know about it. Your son might need some medications. Anyway, if it really is fluid in ear, it could lead to temporary hearing difficulties if not treated. The fluid is pushing the eardrum, and causes pain. If the pressure is to strong, the eardrum could rupture. The symptoms are not always related only with hearing, the child could have fever, nausea or dizziness. In some cases, fluid in ear goes away on its own after couple of days, but sometimes antibiotics are required.