A few days ago I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I'm only 26 and haven't had any children. It's really important to us to have kids. How difficult will it be to become pregnant after the surgery? How long will I have to wait? Someone recommended to me to get my eggs frozen, is this necessary? Any advice will help.

hello. i am 29 and after recurrent miscarriages was found to have papillary cancer. i will have a total thyroidectomy in two weeks and then in two months, will have radioactive iodine. All the advice i got is related to the radiation. I have been told that i can't try for 6 mos to 1 year so they can continue to screen for cancer (can't do radioactive iodine if you are pregnant). The radiation is only absorbed by thyroid cells, so it is not theoretically going to affect your eggs. We should be good. We are not planning to freeze or eggs and will try naturally when i am cancer free. hopefully we'll have twins and get two kids for one ;-)

I am 28 and had Follicular Thyroid Cancer and ultimately my entire thyroid removed and Radiation treatment (I-131) a few weeks after. I have a 2 year old lil boy who I conceived and gave birth to prior to even detecting the cancer, Suprise huh? Im about 5 months thru my first year and ready to try for baby #2. My endo says we can try when we want to try, but my surgeon recommended waiting 1 full year after a clean scan to try, in the event additional treatment or surgery would be needed. I am of the understanding that once your thyroid levels (TSH) are very supressed (with meds) as a part of treatment, it may be more difficult to become pregnant. I am still on the uproad to full suppression (0.1 TSH) so I cant help with how its effecting conceiving yet. But, I hope that helps a little! GOOD LUCK!

I am 22 years old and had thyroid cancer when I was 19 years old. The lump was 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 wrapped around my vocal chords and I had no idea. I have went through 2 surgeries one in December 2009 and January 2010 to remove all of the lump. I have had the iodine free diet as well and the radioactive. I recently got married and hope to start having children soon. I am just wondering is it safe to have a baby? I have heard so many pros and cons. Thank you for the reply,

I had a very similiar experience to you, with thyroid cancer, 2 surgeries, radioactive iodine, a external beam radiation when I was 19-22yo. I got married at 24 & had my daughter at 29. We got pregnant right away when I came off the pill! I think you will be fine!

Two years ago, i was diagnosed a papillary CA and undergone TT and also the RAI after 3 mos. The nuclear medicine doctor told me that i should have to wait until 1 yr for me to get pregnant. we already have 2 kids but my husband and I wish to have another baby. I took medicines for my diabetes and cholesterol since its in the border line.  Does it give some complication or phisycal abnormalities for baby? am happy to hear any advices... thanks 

LCB13

i had the same thing i had thyroid cancer at 19 but was actually pregnant at the time and had surgery and radiation shortly after. i was told that i could have another child but it would be very risky to have another child since the cells could grow back. but i hope to try again for another. im now 25 almost 26.

How big was your thyroid. I had follicular thyroid cancer and they didn't recommend radiation iodine. Also I had cancer last year in may and now I'm 7 weeks pregnant.

I also have thyroid cancer..and recently I got marry. I'm now only 18.can I get baby. My husband wants baby.how to pregnancy