I drink about five cups of coffee a day. Big cups. And strong coffee. I know this destroys my stomach, gives me blood pressure and many other things, but I can’t stop drinking it. And then somebody tells me that I might be so moody and depressed because I drink all that coffee. That all that anger and nervousness I feel isn’t caused by my material and emotional situation or everyday stress, but coffee. Those people (my friends and relatives) talk about food anxiety and how everything you put into your mouth can create specific behaviour and emotion and can cause anxiety etc. After all bad things about coffee this one sounds the stupidest. Is it possible that there is such a thing as food anxiety?

It is proven that certain substances from the food you eat can bring about certain behaviour or condition, e.g. insomnia, depression, anxiety, stress, panic attacks... Your friends probably exaggerate when they accuse coffee of all bad things in your life, but there is also truth in their words. Caffeine from coffee, tea or coke encourages the production of adrenalin in your body and thus provokes anxiety and nervous reactions. Too much salt raises blood pressure and in this way initiates hasty and moody reactions on certain occasions. Refined sugar, i.e. all kinds of sweets, can be responsible for sudden changes in behaviour and can also cause anxiety. Pesticides used in food production can do the same thing. In order to annul the problematic feelings experts recommend food such as garlic, carrots, onion, spinach, beetroot, celery, fish, some of them even agitate in favour of raw dairy products while the others praise organically grown food and organically raised cattle. You can at least try to lessen the quantity of caffeine if you don’t accept all this recommended. Like it or not, coffee really can produce bad feelings and your friends are right about that. How far will you go in following these recommendations is up to you.