Hello, I am in my fourth month of pregnancy and I need some advice. I have managed somehow not to drink coffee for the first trimester but I would like to know if I can drink decaffeinated coffee now. I know that it is not the healthiest choice, but I just cannot go through a day without at least one cup of coffee.

Well, you did manage to be without for three months and that is a success. And also, coffee is known to increase the level of histamine and the HCL level in the stomach. And that would not be a wise thing for your baby. As for decaffeinated coffee, that might be the answer to your problem, but do have in mind that they have to replace the coffee aroma somehow, most likely with the help of strong chemicals and that might also harm you or the child.

1-2 cups of coffee a day is not going to hurt....millions of pregnant woman do it and thousands of ob docs approve it- i personally had my coffee as did most of my friends but if you can go without than thats good too....studies have shown that high caffinee intake can affect growth and possiably cause problems with baby sugar levels later but 1-2 cups a day is considered "safe"

Hi - I love coffee and have drank it for years and I, too, have a hard time saying no to a good cup of coffee (I am in my first trimester.) BUT! I find that caffeine is bad for your baby. Your baby is worth far more than a cup of coffee in the morning.

sorry i messed up i meant the person who replied before me..it is fact that less then 100 mg of caffiene has proved to not endanger the little ones..im not pregnant so you cant say im being a selfish wench

You know what's more unhealthy for a baby in utero than a cup of coffee? A mother that is stressing out going through withdraw or suffering tension headaches or caffeine headaches. If you're doctor okays a cup of coffee a day when you're pregnant, trust your doctor. That is his or her job, keeping you and your baby healthy. A doctor is not going to okay something if it's going to hurt your child.

Organic decaffinated coffee (which has no harsh chemicals at all), is the best option. Studies say that 50-100mg of caffeine per day is "ok" and that less is "optimal". I'd go the safe route and stick with organic decaffinated. I'm 31 weeks along, and that's what I'm doing.

There are no proven facts that caffeine has harmed a baby. I drank a little coffee with my first child and she's perfectly normal 2year old! Some people worry to much! You know back in the old days they didn't have all these rules for pregnancy and their babies came out normal.

Yes you can.  I read that up to two cups of coffee is ok too

That's two cups a day

careful w/ starbucks coffee, though.  They have about 290mg of caffeine in a tall coffee.  That is A LOT of caffeine for one serving of coffee.  

I agree with you; but in all honesty; a simple, " I wouldn't drink coffee because caffeine isn't the best for your baby. " is enough to say. Those who do drink coffee are probably very hurt by your comments and there is really no need to make others feel horrible about themselves. Sometimes keeping things to yourself is much wiser. Saying less is more.

I wanted to attach some articles of studies I found relating to pregnancy and coffee consumption.  I just recently found out that I am pregnant and I had the same question: "Can I drink decaf coffee?"  I read some comments and there are studies out there.  One way you can research is go to Google Scholar and type in "pregnant women coffee"  and there are many studies conducted.  Also if you go to any library site you can generally search articles and publications.  I don't think women are bad mothers for asking this question.  I think most women who are pregnant ask many questions so they CAN make the health of their baby a healthy one.  Here are the two articles I attached and congratulations to all the mommies out there!

http://www.ajcn.org/content/48/3/645.short

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/3946486/reload=0;jsessionid=WUMOysESFCpca3gdsC2v.0

I think most of us have missed the point here: DECAF! I'm wondering the same thing. is the caffeine the only concern or is coffee, in itself, a problem?

I'm sure being an uptight b***h isn't good for your baby either.