Both exercisers and researchers have been trying to find a cure-all for the post-exercise soreness with little success. Many methods have been tried including over-the-counter painkillers, stretching and massage but still no cure-all was found.

A new study suggested that a morning cup of coffee may be all that it takes to avoid the dreaded post-exercise muscle soreness after a challenging workout.

The post-exercise pain occurs a day or two after a workout that was more intense than normal. It is eccentric contraction in which a muscle produces a force while it's being lengthened.

The study was done on a small group of 9 young women. The researchers produced eccentric contractions in the women's thigh muscles in a simulated workout and caused moderate day-after soreness.

The same process had been done for two days in during which the women had to take either a caffeine or placebo pill one hour before the muscle workout. The women who took the caffeine instead of placebo pills reported less muscle soreness during the workout.

It is believed that caffeine blocks the muscle pain by blocking the activity of a chemical called adenosine, which is released as part of the inflammatory response to injury and that can activate pain receptors in body cells.

However, it turns out that the supplement had the amount of two cups of coffee and not one, which would mean that caffeine side effects like anxiety, increased blood pressure, heart palpitations, stomach problems and disrupted sleep were likely to occur.

Researchers advise that caution should be used with coffee in order to avoid the unwanted side effects.

Hi, I agree with you, I'm 40 y.o. and I had this problem but with two cups daily I solve it. Rcently I have become to brew with my drip coffee machine an Italian product called fitness caffè. It's very good and in more helps me to get fit daily.

Hi!
I'd really be interested to know how you believe that coffee/caffeine solves your pain problem. It seems to me that it might be harmful. It's a stimulant. It raises your blood pressure and increases your heart rate. It makes you restless. Could it be that it gets your blood flowing thru your muscles, which might cause some relief. That does make sense. Are you concerned about the side affects. I'd be interested to know if decaffinated coffee has the same affect on you. Let me know.

This article is very helpful in terms of keeping people aware of the benefits of caffeine. A lot of people are not aware of the benefits that some substances have. Many tend to demonize substances without thinking about how they can be good or bad or both. I have known people who drink too much water and then tell me that there's nothing wrong with that. Drinking too much water can actually be quite harmful! So I do appreciate that you've illustrated this for us.

Good points. What are some of the benefits of coffee? I am really interested in continuing this conversation. i need to educate myself in this area too. I'd be interested in your answers to my questions as well as the last questions posted. Please get back to us with your input. How are things going since your last post. Have you found anything out?