I had pain behind my second toe of my right foot. I went to a podiatrist and he injected cortisone into the joint between my foot and my second toe. It immediately felt better and I left happy. About a month later the pain returned so I returned to the podiatrist. That injection didn't help at all so a few days later he injected me again. That didn't help either so he tried injecting cortisone right into the toe. Less than a week later I literally heard my tendon tear. I watched in horror as my second toe curled right before my eyes! My tendon was torn, my toe was curled, my toe was dislocated and I was in more pain than ever. In Nov. an orthopedic surgeon performed hammertoe surgery consisting of realigning the toe, a pin, and ligament transplant. Three months later it was still dislocated so the orthopedic surgeon had to perform a second surgery. I wore the post surgical boot for another 8 weeks. Today (late Sept) my toe is still swollen, stiff (but thankfully straight) and there is a bump behind my toe on the top of my foot. My lesson from all this? Never, ever, under any circumstances, go to a podiatrist for anything. If you don't head my advice: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let him inject cortisone more than once.
Bobbi

Hi:
I got cortisone injections once but they did not help me.  I am not planning to put another again because cortisone melts the cartilage & little bones particularly toes & fingers. Of course, my podiatrist did not warn me about it which I found very unethical.  Beware of podiatrist!!!! My podiatrist cut all my fingers and suggested bunion surgeries (both sides) damage my feet & now she disappeared while saying everything is oK your feet are just swollen, your feet look beautiful.  Now, I am gonna need reconstructive surgery.  NYC
You did the right the right thing going to an orthopedic surgeon. 

I actually just was diagnosed with Bursitus on my small toe and a small bunion on the same foot. My Podiatrist saw me for the first time and cleaned it and put medicine on it and wrapped it really well, it lasted 4-5 days with taken a shower and everything. He wanted to see me back in 4 days, so I saw him 6 days later and he looked at it and then said your going to need surgery, you have Bursitus that needs to come out of your little toe on the side that rubs agaisnt the shoe and thats whats so painful but because of the bunion, thats how I got Bursitus in the first place. Its started out as a corn and I treated it but kept wearing tight fitting shoes and the corn went away and then Bursitus was created :( Anyway when I went back the second time he gave me a cortisone shot in the Bursitus and its been 2 days and I am painfree and no side effects. I hope this last me until I get to the surgeons office that he had recommended. Good Luck with everything....I never thought this would come down to this but my big toe is starting to move inward under my 2nd toe and I do not want to have that happen. Also its just my left foot, my right doesn't have a bunion. I'm getting this surgery before I get older and can't wear my certain shoes. I should beable to be comfortable in my nice shoes...not have to wear the only 2 that I can right now :(

The ball of my foot hurt so bad I couldn't wear shoes for any length of time. My doctor sent me to a podiatrist. This was November 2011. He injected cortisone. He took x-rays. He then sente to PT. That didn't help. I had hammertoe and arthritic toes. In September 2012 I had hammertoe surgery on my 2nd and 4th toes. After stitches and k wires were taken out, I still was in pain. The ball of my foot stayed swollen. My surgeon put me on a compound cream that was made for me. That didn't work. His assistant put me on prednisone for 8 weeks. That helped but afterwards pain returned. I limped after being one feet for a while. I returned for another visit. I had moved out of state so I was driving 2-1/2 hours one way. My surgeon said my big toe was the only toe flat on the floor. He wrote me a prescription for custom inserts. Had those made and could only wear walking shoes and had to buy 1/2 siege bigger and a wide. $400 for inserts that insurance wouldn't pay. My 2nd toe ended up bending up in the middle and rubbed my shoes. My 4th toe stuck up. At my last visit, almost a year later, the doctor wouldn't see me. His assistant told me they could do nothing else and referred me to a podiatrist. I laughed. It was the podiatrist that sent me to the orthopedic surgeon. I live in a larger city now. My family doctor sent me to an orthopedic surgeon here. They took x-rays and the surgeon showed them to me and said all I can say us your foot is whacky. She even said botched and she would have never performed surgery the way he did. She does nothing but feet and ankles. I ended up having a 1st MTP Arthodesis and Clayton Procedure. My big toe now has a metal plate and screws in it and fused. All other 4 toes the metarsal heads had to be cut out. So I have 5 pins in my foot. I'm in a boot. No weigh bearing for 3 months. It could take up to a year to completely heal. My surgeon now is well known and supposed to be one if the best. The nurse said she fixes a lot of doctors mess ups. It's been 5 weeks and it's rough. I'm homebound and home health care nurses come in to clean and bandage my foot. My advice is to know your surgeon. Ask for references.

She injected it 7 time's one a week .I seen my toe's curling so I never went back .The video I sent sound's like with the proper shoe's and a metatarsal pad would make the ball of your foot move back into it's proper place .