My cousin is diagnosed with hammertoe. That was first time for me to see something like that. He had problems and when he visited the doctor he tried some methods to recover it. Off course, nothing helped him and the doctor recommended surgery. I would like to know just a little bit more about hammertoe, surgery and recovery after it.

Hammertoe is condition where contracture of the proximal interphalangeal joint occurs. Usually it happens in the second toe, but sometimes also affected might be and third one. Patient complains of the pain felt on the dorsal aspect at the proximal interphalangeal joint of hammertoe. There is developed a corn that causes this kind of problem. Once this happens it is not so easy wear regular shoes any more. Hammertoe is caused by a flexor complex or the group of the muscles running on the plantar surface of the toes. They are pressed by metatarsal head of hammertoe, which causes the proximal phalanx to remain dorsiflexed. That’s why some toe becomes hammered, because of this dorsiflexia. Treatment is usually pushing of the metatarsal head and see if the toe will straightens out. It hammertoe straightens; it is possible to use orthotic to correct the problem. Usually it is using metatarsal pad or bar. Otherwise, the contracture in the capsule and ligaments is indicated, so surgery is required. Recovering after surgery is helped with orthotics.

how old is your causin and how many hammertoes does he have u email me at ******* i would appreciate it

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I had a hammer toe surgery 16 days ago....Yesterday my bandages came off and I am able to ware my tennis shoes and take shower. The swelling is down and a little pain exists but not much.
Alberta

Well i just had the surgery this morning. I have to tell you that i was ready to cancel it after reading the horror stories. I have been fine since I got home dont know how I will feel tomorrow but for now I can say it was a piece of cake. MAke sure you have a good Doctor.

Well can you tell me how it has gone for ou and how long you had to recover? I got back myself from having it done this morning but I dont know what tomorrow will bring.

:-D I had hammertoe surgery on Christmas Eve. I can say that the outcome of the surgery was nothing of what I expected. I also had heard horror stories of the pain. I was very please with the outcome of the surgery which only took 20minutes. I can describe the pain as a burning sensation yet with painkillers, the pain was very minimum. Even though i have not actually seen the results of my toes until tomorrow when i go to my follow up appointment, I think i will be pleased with the results vs having hammertoes. I will schedule tomorrow my surgery for my other feet as i also have hammertoes on 2 toes. I will keep you posted.

I am 8 days out from surgery on 1 toe-right foot. I had to have the toe fused and a pin put in, a 90 minute procedure. Even with the anasthesia, I was able to feel the pin as we left the hospital. Turns out that the pin is hitting a nerve but he can't move it or take it out so I have to deal. About the painkillers, there is never enough.
Only concelation so far is that I rented a knee scooter and it is invaluable. Anyone having this surgery needs to get one.

Hi. I had the surgery for a hammertoe on jan.16, 2009 it wasn't to bad. I had pain meds,and had the stitches out in 2 weeks, actually today. Still a little hard to walk and sore, but ice helps and elevate the foot. The doctor says I have to wear this boot 1 more week then I can go into a lose fitting shoe.I have had this problem for 12 or more years so excited to have it fixed.

I had this surgery 5 weeks ago and get my pin out tomorrow. My pin is and has been hitting something also (nerve or something). Initially I would take a couple of pain killers and after about 30 minutes push it back in myself. I found that I should not have been doing that and maybe that is what caused so much of my pain???? This is the most painful recovery I have ever had. I am so ready for this pin to be removed and I am hoping that will stop the pain. I hope I never have to go through anything else like this ever again. I had a hysterectomy ten years ago, gall bladder removed about 15 years ago and have birthed two children. All of the above was a piece of cake compared to the pain I have had with this. I do not want to scare anyone - but saw so many great stories I not only envy the above experiences, but wanted to share mine.

Almost a week ago I had hammertoe surgery on both feet. The first day was a little painful, but after a couple days later I don't feel the pain much. I'm on some good medicine. I get my stitches out in 4 weeks. I hate walking on these boots.

i had hammertoe surgery on June 19,2009 .I had surgery on both feet , the right foot toe 3,4, & 5 - pin in toe 4 . Left foot toes 4 & 5 pin in toe 4 . The surgery lasted 1.5 hr . The surgery overal was good . The first night was ok not that much pain -probably because I still had medicine in my system from the surgery . The next night was horrible I was in so much pain . The pain medicine help a lot . Day 3 Sunday was just as bad to top if off I hit my toe with the pin in it on the couch -omigosh soooooooooooooo much pain-hope I didn't damage anything . It was been a week now it's getting better -- Had a very painful episode last nite - it was a different pain - probably a setback --I constantly walking and driving - a girl can't stay still . I took 2 prescribe soothe the pain a little bit . To top if off I hit the pin toe again today . I have my stitches taken out next week July 2 ,2009 . Per my doctor the pins are in for 3 weeks or more . Oh i forgot - I had my badages change last Monday 3 days after the surgery . My feet look good the swellling is to a minimal -very experience . I have a GREAT doctor . If I had to do it again I would - to have those corns remove off my feet was worth the PAIN !!!!

okay question about the hammertoe surgery.... somebody please respawn to my question fast... so i am a 15 year old freshman and i am a 5 sport athelete i am curently in football and cross country at the same time! i had my surgery august 18 and i got my stitches out the 28th and i am in no pain at all but i have another 2 weeks of recovery :-( and tht is too long for me i need to know if its gunna hurt if i do those to in a week please respawn.... thnks conner

Great information! I also recommend my blog Thanks!

Posted information most helpful. I had my hammertoe surgery on 4 toes 1 week ago and am still experiencing a good amount of pain. It appears to be on the top of the foot, so I'm thinking it has to do with the pins insereted into each toe. I'm still trying to keep my foot elevated, however my patience level is very low - I'm questioning if anyone knows how long one should keep foot elevated and will it hurt anything to walk during the day? My doctor is very evasive about this subject. Happy healling to all of you.