ately, I have been experiencing what might describe as "cognitive fog". I started to become extremely stressed. But after a while it started to get better. I would get really bad headaches, and I wouldn't go to sleep. I felt like I was living in a dream. All of that has gone away except for this new thing that is happening with my brain. I feel really different, and emotionless. The back of my brain seems to hurt a lot, and there's pressure on it. I'm not doing well in school, and I seem to not have a memory anymore. I would think of something but I would forget it after a while. I forget what happened yesterday, it's all unclear. When I try to think my brain has a lot of pressure on it. My muscles are starting to tense up, and my neck is sore. I haven't been social lately either. I can't talk people anymore because I have nothing to say to them. My brain doesn't come up with things to say, and I have loss of words. My speech seems to be getting worse. This is bothering me. It takes me a while for me to think of something. I can't memorize anything anymore. I usually forget it. All the thoughts in my head don't make sense. If i try to explain something, it would not make sense. I just feel something is wrong with my brain and that I can't be happy anymore. I've lost all my motivation to do anything, and I really want this to end. I have smoked weed before, and the last time i did it it did not end up so well. I felt like I was in a dream state, and that I was watching everything like it was a movie. On the same day I threw up 3 times, and after that I saw beaming lights and I could not hear for 30 seconds. Everything became a blur. I've started to have good nights of sleep but I wake up at random times, and I got right back to sleep. My breathing patterns seem different, like I sometimes realize that I am not breathing and I have to take deep breaths. It feels like there's a lot pressure on my body pulling me down. I don't have an appetite anymore, and I have to force myself to be hungry. I really wish I could just wake up and all of this could be gone. I'm never happy anymore, and all I can do is laugh at things that i think are funny. I don't feel like I'm 16 anymore. I don't feel "smart", and I really wish I could have conversations with people without me just saying nothing. I want my friends back, and my old life back. No thoughts come to my head, and i feel out of breath whenever I try to focus on something. I don't know whats wrong. I really want someone to help me :/

Hi mcity, first let me say i am really sorry you are going through all of this. There is help available and you can get your old life back. I have been where you are now and it is really hard, but with help you can recover. Reaching out on this forum is a start. You write really well and expressively so it surprises me that you are not doing well at school unless it is the cognitive fog that is affecting things. The 'cognitive fog' you say you are experiencing is real. Much of what you are describing sounds like anxiety and/or depression. I am not a mental health professional, but have experienced major depression and an anxiety disorder. Anxiety and depression can badly affect your cognitive abilities. I experienced this when I was doing post grad study and it really affected my memory and I went from being very confident in my academic abilities to feeling really, really dumb. Now that the underlying issues have been cleared up/treated/dealt with I am doing well at university again.

It is really important that you get help. You can recover from these conditions but it is hard to do it without help. The best people to talk to are your parents if you can and think they will help and support you.  The type of help available to you depends upon where you live. Your parents should be able to get the right help for you, whether it is a private therapist or in the public system. But there are often services you can access yourself if you need to. Talk to your doctor, they should be able to refer you to the right type of treatment. If you are in Australia there is a nationwide service for 12-25 yer olds called Headspace that offers free or low cost mental health and drug and alcohol services as well as a child and adolescent mental health service that is also free. You can contact Headspace directly and they have great info on their website even if you don't live in Australia. There is also "kidshelpline", like lifeline for kids and they have a website too. In Canada there are a number of different services. They too have "kidshelpphone" and calling them would be a good way to get information on how to get help. I am not sure what the situation is in the UK or US. If your parents can't help you could try talking to a school counsellor/welfare coordinator/chaplain or the like, Seeing a psychologist, counsellor or psychiatrist is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength. It doesn't mean you are crazy or a nutter. It only means that you are struggling at the moment and have the courage and maturity to find ways to recover. Seeing my therapist was the best thing I ever did. It wasn't always easy, but my life is better now than it was even before I became depressed in the first place. So I not only got my life back, but an improved life. 

There are also some things you can do for yourself. First off learn all you can about anxiety and depression. Some very good websites are "beyond blue" (this has a section for young people, you can find it towards the bottom of the homepage), "Black dog institute" and "helpguide". They all have information on how you can help yourself as well as getting professional help. Another important thing is exercise. That might seem simplistic, but exercise boosts the feelgood chemicals in your brain and can make a difference. So too is talking to someone you really trust about how you are feeling. Although that may be the last thing you want to do right now it is really important. It could be a parent, a very close friend, an aunt, a teacher, a counsellor, a trusted adult. Talking helps other people understand you and helps you understand yourself. It also helps you connect with others and feel less alone. Keeping a journal can also be really helpful. So too can keeping a gratitude diary (Google what that is). And stay in touch with friends. You don't have to tell everyone how you feel. Sometimes just hanging out, doing silly stuff, seeing a funny movie etc can help your mood. All of those things can help, and there are other things that you might find useful. But do get professional help as well. You don't need to go through this alone. You can recover and claim the life you want for yourself. I would also add that while you might (or might not) be offered  medication it is a good idea to get counseling as well. Medications work best if you are also seeing a counsellor/psychologist/therapist. They will help you with strategies for dealing with depression and anxiety that you can use for the rest of your life and keep you well into the future.

Wishing you all the best. Things can change, you can have our old friends back and you can have your old life back. Take care.

Thank you. I have told my mom about what has been happening, and she will take me to go see the doctors soon. The cognitive fog has been affecting me in many ways. My memory is getting bad, and i can't remember short term. I start getting headaches whenever I try to read something, and try to understand it. It is painful. I have tried excersizing, and meditating but I don't always follow through. I'm just reallty tired of this affecting my whole life. I just feel different, and i don't think the same way anymore. Thank you for everything.

I wish you all the best. I'm pleased to hear yoy have told your mom. Things can get better. A lot better. Take care