My 82 year old mother had her thyroid removed a year ago. They have regulated her thyroid medication, but her personality seems to have changed. Has anyone else experienced that. She is snippy, sometimes mean, and than also extremely emotional. We thought at first this might be signs of dementia, but her awareness and memory, etc are all very sharp and clear.
I would just like to know if this is common, if it is permenant. I cannot ask her doctor, because in the past when I have had other concerns on other issues, he tells her anyting we say. And if she knew we did that she would become more agitated and mean. By "mean" just short tempered and again, snippy.
Thanks for any input.

Hi.
Changes in personality that your mother is experiencing could be caused by thyroid removal, but it's difficult to isolate what is happening because of the thyroidectomy vs. other conditions. IMHO, dementia would probably affect your mother's memory, not changes in personality. She would be slow, or she would forgetting things, but wouldn't be 'mean' or snippy. So you have right when you're suspecting that recent changes in your mother's behavior could be induced by hormone imbalance due to thyroidectomy.
There is a possibility that your mother is now receiving too much or too little thyroxine, which could affect emotional response. Or it might be that her parathyroid glands which are very close to the thyroid gland, were damaged during surgery. These glands (parathyroid ) regulate the calcium level in blood, and disturbances in this levels can cause emotional changes as well.
So, it's possible that your mother is experiencing some emotional changes due to medications she's taking, or due to injuries to the parathyroid glands that happened during surgery.