I apologize for this being SO long.  But here is what has been going on the last two years.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have two things going on simultaneously, possibly connected and possibly not. I have middle of the night “attacks” and strange poop.

I have been having middle of the night attacks for the last two years (anywhere from twice a week to once a month). I only feel sick in the middle of the night after falling asleep. I wake up with very intense stomach pain, similar to when I had appendicitis or labor pains. The pain seems to be coming from a straight horizontal line 2 inches or so above my belly button, but it radiates up to my chest, down to my lower stomach and even into my back. Nothing I do or position I get in relieves the pain, so I usually end up pacing and practicing labor breathing techniques for relaxation. The attacks last anywhere from 2-5 hours. I usually feel nauseous, and have thrown up several times. On several occasions I made myself throw up in desperation, but throwing up never relieved symptoms. I have also have felt like I had to poop, but even when I did, no relief. I usually have gas, but don't feel gassy - and my farts stink really bad. I usually feel warm or cold, but no fever. I have these attacks anywhere from twice a week to once a month. The next day I always feel a bit off and usually wake up and take a really soft, greasy, unformed and stinky stool. I have noticed that the attacks do tend to happen when I have fatty foods, and a bunch of times after eating nuts (at first I thought it was an allergic reaction, but sometimes I eat nuts without symptoms). 

My poop has been strange for about 6 months, before this with the exception of following an attack, I have always had normal bowel movements. It is never consistently the same. Sometimes it light in color or extremely green (not as often), sometimes it is normal colored but very soft or unformed or skinny or floating. Sometimes it looks like it went through a garbage disposal, all torn up. It hardly ever seems normal.  Last night I had really bad pain under my right rib cage in my back, intense terrible stabbing pains, and then this morning I’ve been having green, kind of unformed, soft stools.

I have seen my doctor for this over the last two years and gone to the ER a couple times. My ultrasound in September revealed no stones and my HIDA scan came back normal (57% ejection fraction). Labs and a CT scan came back normal. I have a gastro scope done and it revealed a hiatal hernia and they had to stretch my esophagus due to scar tissue. 

I am a 30 year old female, 15 pounds overweight since the birth of my son a year ago. I eat healthy (not a lot of fat) and natural. I have a kidney disease (IGAN) but perfect function and no symptoms currently. I have had a false positive test for lupus in the past, but since have not had ANA or many symptoms of it.

Despite the fact that this doesn't happen extremely often, I feel like I cannot go on like this anymore. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, too (both children without drugs, for instance). My doctors are stumped. Any ideas?

Jif it sounds like you may be having trouble with your pancreas.The pain that radiates from the abdomen to the back occur with pancreas The greasy, foul smelling stools are caused from the pancreas having trouble digesting fat. Fatty floating stools, clay or off color and a offensive odor in stools point to your body not digesting fat and the fat going through your system undigested. Do you get relief when you lean forward? The pancreas is behind the stomach and leaning forward taked some of the pressure off of inflamed pancreas. That is one way to tell if that is your problem.  Lupus is one factor that contributes to pancreas problems. I had an acute attack about 2 months ago. VERY painful and I was in ICU three days. I was told that the levels they use to determine this problem are present only in the first 48 hrs of a attack. You should ask for CT scan and see if any damage has been done to your pancreas. Sometimes estrogen levels or pregnancy can cause this very serious problem. I KNOW you don't want an acute attack and I would get all the info you can and present it to your Dr.  Pancreatitis problems are still a mystery to modern medicine and you must demand the proper test..Good luck and hope I helped.

i have the same problem infact as i write this know im having terrible stomach pains