Is there any way you can alleviate the pain of an attack while the attack is occurring? Other than narcotics I mean.

voltron16 wrote:

Is there any way you can alleviate the pain of an att
ack while the attack is occurring? Other than narcotics I mean.

It really seems to help to lie on your left side. Relieves pressure on the tummy. Also ibuprofen REALLY helps. I think the next attack I have I will go to the hospital, though. Those attacks are scarry, and your gallbladder CAN explode.

I had horrible gall bladder attacks always occurring at night so I had to deal with the pain as well as the constant lack of sleep. The only relief I could get is when I put a heating pad on my right side and my right shoulder blade on high heat. I did not make the pain go away but it made it more bearable until I had surgery to remove it. During my worst attack my husband rubbed my back with a lot of pressure and it seemed to help me pass a stone-- as the attack stopped afterward.

So, what's the deal with the gall cleanses I have heard about? Does anyone know if those work or have you ever tried anything like that? A gall cleanse is a simple way to pass gallstones naturally using remedies to flush your gallbladder. The first tip to dissolve and pass gallstones is to supplement vitamin C (also called ascorbic acid). Research reveals that vitamin C is used by the body to convert cholesterol to bile acids. Therefore, your body will have lower levels of cholesterol and more acids. Your gallstone risk will no longer be a problem. You should try to get at least 2000 mg of vitamin C daily. You can supplement this vitamin or you can get it naturally through fruits and vegetables. If you are supplementing, it is important to do it on a full stomach to help with the absorption process. Zinc lozenges would also be helpful for absorption.
You should also be drinking plenty of water. Proper hydration is very important for all gallstone sufferers. Try to drink at least 16 ounces of water for every 2 hours you are awake.

You should also avoid foods that contribute to a bigger stone. Cutting out high fat and high cholesterol foods can help your body purge the stones. Here are some foods you should avoid until your gallstone passes: eggs, pork, onions, fowl, milk, citrus, corn, beans, and nuts.

i know you said no narcotics - but the best thing that worked for me when i was having a please-kill-me-now gallbladder attack was toradol. it's a anti inflammatory + a painkiller and it works amazingly! much better than demerol (which knocks you right on your ass)

I had three gallbladder attacks that were most painful. I then read the Internet and found that Lipton's tea stopped gallbladder attacks. I began drinking one cup of hot Lipton's Tea each morning and it has now been two years since I had an attack.

Do not believe the quacks when they tell you to have your gallbladder removed and there will be no side effects. Those who have had their gallbladder removed complain of upset stomach, and diarrhea for months if not years following the surgery.

Natalia wrote:

Well, I am not sure if you can alleviate the pain but maybe you could avoid the attacks by eating right!?!

You can be on the healthiest diet and still have attacks.

When I'm having an attack!!!! I put ice in a ziplock bag and place it on the right side of my stomach and it helps ease the pain while I'm waiting on my pain meds to kick in. Because 30 minutes can seem like forever when the pain is intense.

I have endured gallbladder attacks off and on for many years. Tylenol and a steaming hot shower right between the shoulder blades knocks out the pain w/in 30mins most of the time. Hope this helps you and good luck:)

Thanks for your help! I sometimes have gallbladder attacks and I didn't know that you could just do this. Thanks for your cure because it definitely helps when I have one! Has anyone else tried this?

voltron16 wrote:

If you are suffering from a gall bladder attack symptom, then lie down immediately on the couch or bed. The left side of your body should lay on the top of a pillow. This helps release the pressure from the gallbladder. You can even sit on a high backed chair. Rest your back against the chair and raise your arms straight up then lean them backwards. Remain in the same position till the pain reduces. If you are experiencing nausea, then try and vomit. Do not force yourself to vomit. Remember nausea is a gallbladder attack symptom. Try to have a bowel movement. The attack may have been triggered by the waste in the body.

how long is an average attack...because im now 2 and 1/2 hours in and havent relieved myself of pain yet

I am new to this. In the past I have had ulcers, so when all this pain started a year ago with bloating, gas and back pain, I thought that that I must still have ulcers and that is what was causing these 'attacks'. Went in for an endoscope- A NO MORE ULCERS!!!!! They suggested that I should have agallbladder ultrasound. Contrary to some of the statements on here, I am not over weight! However I do have a family history of Gallbladder disease. Right now I am just enduring the pain until the DRs decide how to handle this. I am looking for sensible ways to keep the pain under control and relieve some of the symptoms. Suggestions???

i am seven weeks pregnant and all of the sudden i have these everynight i can not sleep through them they are misserable. they last about 5 hours or more and i don't want to go through this for nine months but i really want a healthy baby! so i don't want surgrey!

I had lived with undiagnosed gall stones for almost a year causing frequent severe attacks.

I can say I discovered several ways to treat the pain that my treating physician flippantly dismissed:

1. HEAT, HEAT, and MORE HEAT! - Apply a warm compress to the area just under your right rib cage. Alternately, take a hot shower. Here is what I learned: The pain is a result of the muscles around your gall bladder spasming and causing general havoc to the muscular structure in your torso. Heat helps relax the muscles.
2. MUSCLE RELAXERS - I was advised by my sibling who is an LNP and suspected I had Gallstones (despite my treating physicians diagnosis to the contrary) to seek immediate medical attention at the onset of each attack. Her concern was that should the gall bladder rupture during an attack, the treatment window to avoid death is rather small. During one such trip to the ER, a physician who was frustrated at my lack of response to morphine, tried a muscle relaxer. I felt immediate symptom relief before the syringe was even empty and knew from that point forward to simply request the muscle relaxer.

You can take measures to avoid an attack, as well.

1. FAT - Avoid fatty foods! Fat in your stomach triggers the gall bladder to try to empty bile into your stomach to help digest the fat.
2. WATER - Drink plenty of water! I hear this everywhere for general health, and didn't put a lot of credence in it at the time, but I have since met two Canadians who, because of long waits to get surgical removal of the gall bladder, swear drinking an inordinate amount of water daily manages their attacks.

Finally, don't be afraid to get it removed laprascopically. I was very nervous about getting it removed, and was shocked at how painless it was and how short the recovery time was. Once removed, I could again begin enjoying a normal life.

If you're reading this, either you or someone close to you most likely has gallstones. Good luck to you. I know the pain, and hope I've been able to help.