I just got out of the hospital for acute pancreatitis. Not a pain I ever want to feel again. They did a cat scan, MRI, and endoscopic ultrasound and found nothing that would have caused it. I'm not a big drinker either. The odd thing is that for the last month before the attack, I've really been trying to watch my eating and I've been working out.

I've had problems with my digestive system for the last three years and now I'm wondering if I have had chronic pancreatitis. It started with gas and diarrhea. Most mornings I have anywhere from 2-4 bowel movements before I leave the house. The first one is usually normal and then it gets watery from there. Every once in a while I have a bout of yellow stool for a couple days. I went to the gastro 3 years ago and he did a colonoscopy and an EGD and he didn't find anything. He told me I had IBS. Could this be related to the pancreatitis? He told me yellow stools don't mean anything but it seems odd that I have them now with this acute attack. When I look up yellow stools it talks about a blockage some where. Could they have missed something? Is there another test that should be done? I don't understand how I got this in the first place.

Also, some lymph nodes showed up on the cat scan and MRI in my retroperitoneum. This is the part of the stomach by the pancreas. They were under 10mm on the cat scan but as big as 17mm on the MRI. They want me to see a specialist to determine if one should be biopsied. Now I'm really freaking out thinking I have pancreatic cancer or lymphoma or something else that's even scarier than the pancreatitis. I don't think I could take anymore right now. :-( Has anyone else had lymph nodes show up like this during an attack? I would think they would be enlarged simply because of the pancreatitis.

Thanks for your help!

Sue

Hi Sue, I'm sure that's why they're performing the biopsy. Pancreatic cancer is fairly rare and it's been in the news for awhile because Patrick Swayze has it so I think that it's been in a lot of people's minds right now. I would say you don't have a big chance of having it. Can you tell us how you're doing? I'd like you to give us an update if you can. By the way if you register for the forums you can tell us how you're doing because they'll email you when people post on the thread! Let me know okay?

Hi Sue, Our cases sound similar. I just had two attacks this past week. First time ever. Like you, they could not find a cause they did basic sonogram and CT scan.

Looking back though, I wonder how long this has been going on in a much milder form. For a long time I had chills everyday then I began to have frequent bouts of mild to moderate nausea, Fatigue all the time and shallow breathing and sinus problems. I had morning diarrhea (penis's crow diarrhea some call it) since March 2006, with pale greasy stool. In February of this year, I was so miserable I decided to try the gluten-free diet and to my surprise I began to feel much better within a week. The breathing and sinus problems left in six weeks, my muscle tone came back and I had lots of energy. I began exercising again. I also cut out dairy, coffee and all alcohol to give my stomach time to heal. It took six months before the daily diarrhea stopped and I reintroduced the foods again. I recently began having very normal, healthy movements so I am incredibly surprised that I got pancreatitis.

Have you had any gluten intolerances? Please post again, if your doctors find the cause of your problem. I am hoping they figure it out soon! :-)

are you sure they were nodes or possibly pseudocysts. pseudocysts are common and cause much of the pain. are the rest of your labs good?

If you have a verticle line by the left eyebrow, it's spleen dysfunction. Vertical line by the right, liver dysfunction. Patrick Swaze had a line by his left eyebrow- he had spleen issues. It's not just one organ. Generally a digestive or metabolic issue. You should find a CMT (Chinese Medicine)