I have had pain & a feeling of something being squeezed inside me on my right side under ribs. I have had to go to the ER a few times and have had several tests, blood work, urine test, ultrasound, endoscopy, PIPIDA scan. They find no gallstones & have said that my pancreas are working fine. After the PIPIDA scan my doctor called to say that I should have my gallbladder removed because it's only working at 22%. He prescribed pain medicine, protonix & elavil(?). He hasn't mentioned anything about changing my diet or to be cautious of anything. I haven't seen anything about gallbladder working at any % and having to have it removed any where on the internet. Can anyone else give me info to this?
Thanks.

the % im assumin is your ejection fraction, mine is low as well, mine is at 28% and i also cannot find very much info on the net. all i know is that 35%-75% is normal, im still going thru extensive testing and meds meds meds and im sick sick sick sick and im just trying to find some help as well. hope that helped you ne.

hi there are some wonderful web sites that deal with liver and gb cleanses. google curezone and click on ask andreas or ask barefoot and look at the cleanses.

there are also some great herbal remadies that can be taken.
but have a look at curezone you will learn a lot.
only get the gb out as a last resort.

A HIDA scan can reveal gallbladder problems even when ultrasound says all is normal. HIDA scan shows how well gallbladder is working. Failure to visualize gallbladder 60 to 120 minutes after injection of the radionuclide dye is consistent with acute cholecystitis. Delayed flling of the gallbladder is consistent with chronic cholecystitis. Your gallbladder function can be numerically determined by calculating the capability of the gallbladder to eject its contents. An ejection fraction below 35% indicates primary gallbladder disease. *I had a normal ultrasound but on HIDA scan had delayed filling of the gallbladder and ejection fraction of only 8%. I underwent laparoscopic cholecystectomy and feel 100% better now.* Hope this information is useful.

I have been having RUQ abdominal pain for 10 years. I recently had a HIDA scan that revealed a 0% ejection fraction. I have a history of stomach ulcers as well. My surgeon wants to do an edoscopy before surgery. I didn't feel comfortable with the test, so we compromised with an upper GI scan. Why do I need this test first and what is he looking for?

If a gallbladder is operating below 28 - 30 %, it is in danger as it can rupture just like a bad appendix. Also with a low functionality of a gallbladder, a person will have a tremendous amount of pain along with vomiting and/or nausea. Just like having gallstones, it will be difficult to eat, but unlike having gallstones, the only thing that can be tolerated is creamy soft foods and milk.

The underlying cause is unknown, but several diseases that are known to attack the body and the immune system such as lupus could be a factor.

If a HIDA scan has reach a true 0%, then the organ has died and stop functioning and the body has stop sending alerts that something is wrong. Consider yourself lucky if this is you. Pain caused by a sick gallbladder is one of the worse.

I had my gallbladder out in 2006 after I suddenly fell VERY ill. On the HIDA scan my gall bladder was functioning at 5%. Liver function was down too. I was only 17 at the time and it was pretty bad and I still have no idea what caused it. The surgeon told me afterwards that my gallbladder was covered in lesions, and no one knew what the cause was. But I'm ok now! :-)

I've just been diagnosed with chronic cholecystitis and gallstones with a function of 10% and I am only 20 years old,I am meeting with my surgeon in several days.

I am glad that I took the time and found this page. I was just diagnosed with my gallbladder only functioning at 12% yesterday and now I'm trying to find a surgeon to have it removed. I have had pain for years and had so many tests it isn't funny. I'm actually glad they took the time to administer the right test this time. Having it removed can't hurt worse than having it barely working. My diet has been slowly deteriorating and there are only certain things I can eat that doesn't make me sick. I was beginning to think I was crazy, but now it all makes sense. For the first time, ALL of my symptoms are explained. I can't wait to get it out! :-)

I am having my gallbladder removed June 25,2009 They found mine was only functioning at 3 % through this same scan as you had. I have fely naseuas for a long time now & it kept getting worse & worse I have also been feeling real tired & was told this could be the reason for that also. I will be so glad to get my gallbladder out so I will start feeling better.

I am having my gallbladder taken out this Thursday June 25, 2009. i feel nasuea all the time & feel really tired. Mine was only functioning at 3% so my family Dr sent me to a surgeon this past Friday so he scheduled my appt for me. I will be so glad to have my gallbladder out so maybe I will start feeling a lot better. I am so tired of having this nasueas feeling all the time.

I am 42 and was just told by bladder is only functioning at 1% . I have also been in a lot of pain with neausa and feeling soo tired all the time. My doctor is worried about me haveing surgery because i am a cancer survivor of 10yrs (Thank God) i had to have a hesteractomy and a hernia repair all at the same time and had complications with the surgery and the healing afterward so he is concerned that i may not do well. I also have a vocal implant so anestisia is a big ordeal. I just want to fell better and stop hurting all the time i would love to go back to work.

I am 20 years old and have been dealing with Acid Reflux for the past 8 yrs. Recently switched hospitals and at my latest ER visit on 9/3/09 they did the pipida scan and found my gallbladder was only functioning 13% and they think it has been that way all of my life but the other hospital did not bother to check. So glad i switched hospitals! anyways I had my gallbladder removed the next morning. it took a little bit of time to heal but a month and a half later i am doing much better. the surgeon thinks that this will take care of my acid reflux as well so we will see in time. :-)

I went through 2 year of very extreme and painful attaches that I now know where gallbladder attaches. I had many test and some dr wrote off my gallbladder after the ultrasounds came back ok. Finally, I found a dr that knew what he was doing and did a HIDA scan. It revealed my gallbladder function was 3%. I had my gallbladder taken out a week later, I was only 19 at the time. It made my life so much better! No more pain or attaches, that only problem was the weight gain. I was only 115 lbs at the time and gain about 15lbs during the next year.

Hi, I just read many people's statements re: their gallbladder/digestive system problems. I will have my gallbladder removed next wednesday because it is functioning at 20%. I just pray that will be the end of the pain I have experienced for almost a year. I have hypothyroidism, Sjogren's Syndrome and fibromyalgia. SS is a form of arthritis. I was wondering if taking Cymbalta was a problem with the gallbladder, but found out not, because the pain was there before the Cymbalta. I wondered if the gallbladder problem was related to the Sjogrens and there is no proof but apparently a theory is the receptors in the gallbladder simply stop working but no cause is known yet. However found out from others that after gallbladder removed, I may have sphincter of odi problem and/or pancreatitis and/or liver problems. Seems the secret is eat low fat food for the rest of my life, do not drink alcohol because taking Cymbalta and the combination can hurt my liver. So knowing all this, am going ahead with surgery. I believe in getting the right diagnosis before doing anything. I have been with my rheumatologist since 1998 when first diagnosed with Sjogrens and fibro. This has helped. Stay with doctor who gives you the most information and don't have a bunch of tests unless you question the doctor and nurse and lab people thoroughly. Also went to a doctor twice for the gallbladder problem, first time a year ago and she diagnosed me then. I did not have insurance and did not do tests. I tried diet for ten months and that helped but not completely. Went back to Doctor and she had same opinion, I have insurance now and had 2 tests run, ultrasound and function study. She is a good doctor and I will stay with her also along with rheumatologist. I will have to be watched for rest of my life as I have several issues. Basically the meds help, finding the right ones has been a long road, I am 58 years old and will be working for a long time so need to feel well and go on with my life. Hope this information helps everyone. - Debbie from Jackson, MS