Three years ago i spent 69 days in hospital with and following gallstone pancreatitis. The doctors say i am not supposed to be alive. I took prescription enzyme replacement which worked for 2 years. Now i have continual problem with diahrea. Does anyone know what i should avoid eating and what enzyme replacements are the best. I only have about one inch of pancreas left and no gallbladder-quality of life is diminishing.
My doctors are working with me but it seems most are befuddled. The one gastroenteroligist who was treating me recently died. Can anyone help?

Five years ago I had a similar experience. I spent 135 days in the hospital recovering from acute gall stone pancreatitis. They sent me home with drainage tubes in my side to deal with an unhealed abscess. By a miracle of God I survived and am doing quite well. I do have some nagging problems with a low-grade fever after eating afternoon snacks and the evening meal and wondered if you experienced the same thing.

My gastro doctor had me taking Pancreatase MT-10, a prescription digestive enzyme. He discontinued this after stool test showed a proper digestion of fats. You might ask about this medication.

I wish you well. Only those of us who have experienced this dreadful malady can appreciate the suffering it brings on.

Regards,

CVS in Arlington, TX

I had the same thing last year. I was not suppose to live. I have only 1/3 of a pancreas with no function. My lungs, liver and kidneys failed while is was trying to recover. I was in the hospital for 5 months. By the grace of God and the love and faith of my husband I have recovered about 90% of my various body functions. My doctor put me on a low fat high fiber diet and Viokase 8 enzymes. It is working for me. If I eat alot of fat in a day I know I will have lots of gas pains and mild diareha. I wish you well and hope this helps you find what will work for you.

Your symptoms are like that of bile salts diarrhea, that happens after gallblader surgery. I have found that cholestyamine works as a bile acid sequestrant and helps neutralize the bile.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/908gx7q8171pw332/fulltext.pdf?page=1

Some other people may have the same symptoms, but still have their gallbladder. It is called a Habba Syndrome.
http://habbasyndrome.com/_wsn/page4.html

Good luck. If you would like to ask me more, write to me at _[removed]_

LH

After getting a gall bladder removed using enzymes is the best bet to help filter the liver. Get enzymes without Acidopholus. This will give you diarrhea.