Hi. I was diagnosed with biliary colic, or chronic cholecystitis. This is a chronic inflammation of the gall bladder. It gives me pains which last for hours. I don`t want to have a surgery. Are there any alternative options?

Hi. I suffer from biliary colic too. The pain we feel is cause by distention of the bile duct. This obstruction is very often followed by infection. My pain attack sometimes last for a few minutes, and sometimes two to three hours. Alternatives to surgery include dissolution therapy with Urdox tablets. However, it will take a long time to dissolve a gallstone with this treatment. Also, in most cases, a gallstone comes back once the treatment is stopped. Lithiotripsy is another option. This is a kidney stone therapy too, and is rarely useful for gallstones. After lithiotripsy, the pieces of stone will still need to be removed. This is usually done by ERCP or dissolution therapy.